OldCP's Death

Made by Mirrikh in Club Penguin

Menace to Society
Banned
288 posts
Seen 27th May 2023
18th June 2022, 06:03 PM

OldCP’s Death
It is by my decree that OldCP is hereby dead. I don’t have the power to make such decree so just take my word for it bro
The remnants of the older days on Club Penguin were still on the internet. Ever since iCPv1’s release, the first Private Server, the internet had gotten a virus. Not one that is malicious, but one that we call CPPSes. Fans of Club Penguin had hated Disney for what they had done to Club Penguin. Private servers jumped up left and right, and it was basically a crapfest. Some private servers were of modesty, some both good and bad, some just of ill intent. Ill intent meaning ones like CPO, some of modesty like OldCP, then there were ones like CPR, which had originally been a fun project and chill place like OldCP but downgraded into Club Penguin with ads. These servers were just small fun projects, or easy ad-money-laundering projects. (or grooming projects, hello Riley!) and were basically like a free Club Penguin to wanderers on the internet. Kids, although mostly their parents, hated the membership aspect of Club Penguin. Despite it being basically the only way Disney could keep up the game, nobody likes to lose money! And parents think losing money is even stupider when it comes to a penguin game. So a lot of kids had been told to “just shut up and play without it” by their parents, which did make them angry. What do kids do when they’re angry? Either they cry or they go cripple themselves in internet addiction even further. For most people who chose the latter, they had searched up “Free Club Penguin”. This brought them to another two options, A. being a virus free membership generator, B. being a CPPS. Fortunately for my PC, I had actually walked into a CPPS. Now this CPPS is still up and I’m pretty sure that I’m just gonna get smited for saying it, so I won’t mention it. I won’t piss off Mr. DamenSpike or the mods/admins and get warned for mentioning another CPPS. (the ones i mentioned are gone so i think im in the clear) But this CPPS was pretty good. Problem. There was a whole lot of cussing. Guess what parents don’t like? Cussing. And when mine saw the cussing, they told me to get off. So, my internet addiction moves on, and it has a flow to it. It doesn’t go away. So I simply joined another CPPS. Now on the original Club Penguin, a lot of users complained about how the old times were. So I was an early nerd. Time to do some research! I had typed in my browser “Old Club Penguin” and was led to this place. What had also popped up was a CPWorld video on OldCP. I watched it and immediately got an account on there. Ar08 was my name. I met Zeldamaster, we were bros, (shame hes BOS, literally 1984) then later I met others who I won’t name because then this post is just gonna turn into a “ME AND THE BOYS”' thread. Then Damen had done something with all the user registry, so I had to make a new one. This one was Warrior.
Now for me personally, I had a different experience with OldCP. A lot of people have really deep connection to this game. And I understand that! I sort of too. But for me, OldCP was a place on the internet, where I was free to go once I had nothing to do. Homework’s over? Hop on OldCP bro. Summer time? Go mess outside, once you’re tired, hop on OldCP bro. OldCP was always there for me, and it was always there for everyone. But you know the saying. All good things come to an end.
What kept OldCP together was community. But from a game design aspect, it really sucked. I believe Damen knew that in a way. Which is why, at one point, he tried making the CP Minigames give you gold. (the idea was scrapped because it was a coding hell, a very buggy coding hell, despite it being the way to solve OldCP’s liquidity crisis, it was most likely too much of a pain in the ass) Gold was the U.S. Dollar. The British Pound. It ran everything. If you had 10 million gold, you could basically bribe everyone you know. You could get a military. You could get anything you want done. Like real life!
But the game’s activity had dropped. There’s several factors. People grow up, get jobs, relationships, hop off OldCP. Some also found the game not to be fun, because of how hard it was to get gold. That’s understandable. But a lack of advertising (albeit ads are expensive so I can’t really bash the big men in charge about that) and updates had kept the game dying. From 2013-17 was this game’s golden age. A constantly active player base and thriving community was what made OldCP great. But there was something lurking in the shadows. Something that had originally made the game even more fun, but was now a deterrent for new players.
We call this Crimezone. Crimezone is basically Penguin LARP, to be precise. It was events that would go on, and users could sit down and theorize about it. (And maybe even join in if you had divine piety) It was made to be like salt, or pepper, or spices, of a meal. It enhanced the overall experience and made it better. However, what if you took the entire shaker and dumped it onto your meal? It’s just so bad. It’s disgusting. CZ was made to make OldCP even more fun. But CZ was done wrong. It wasn't at the fault of lore. At this point, anything could have been done in CZ and it would have been good. What really made CZ bad is that it was overdone.
You see, when a game starts dying, developers update it, add more things to appeal to more players to get them to join, or appeal to the Old Guard who are just about to pack up and leave. What was done when OldCP started to die was that they just started THROWING and I really do mean THROWING more CZ into it. But let's go back to the meal metaphor. A little bit of salt and pepper can make your meal better. But that doesn’t mean that salt and pepper are inherently good. If you just unloaded the entire shaker onto your meal, you’re not gonna like that. It’s way over the top. When a little bit is added, it is done right. CZ could have been done at a more balanced pace than it was.
“But Bag, CZ wasn’t happening basically everyday!” That’s disputable, but I’d say it wasn’t. Sometimes CZ would be done at a faster pace, or a slower pace. Let's say you have your meal again. Let's just wait 24 days without eating your meal. It’s moldy and gross now. You add the pepper and salt. It’s still garbage. It’s moldy garbage.
CZ was mistaken to be served as an alternative to updates. While updates were happening, no actual ones were happening at (feel free to correct me) 2018 and forward.
“But Bag! The [RANDOM SABER NOBODY GIVES A DAMN ABOUT] was added, along with [RANDOM BOW OR GUN NOBODY GIVES A DAMN ABOUT]!”
I don’t believe adding random weapons serves as an update. Good weapons were
basically impossible to get if you weren’t anointed by Crimezone Jesus Christ Himself. Weapons were able to be bought with gold, gold was what made you play the game for hours. Sabers were also for CZ sweats but over the past few years they have become more widely accessible to regular players, which is a reform I like. However, this reform has been completely overshadowed due to new weapons releasing. While saber reskins are a-ok balance-wise, as they’re just things that look different but are the same, new weapons came out. There’s literally 2 shot weapons the size of a quarter of my monitor screen. Damn! WTH DEV TEAM??
I had faith that OldCP would revive. I was insane. Randy’s Bread Games couldn’t even muster a SINGLE player. As SecurityGuy said, “Doesn’t need any rework, it’s just people don’t feel like playing it no more.”
If OldCP were to come back, it would have to get a playerbase back. Penguin3D dominates the DSGHQ platform. It’s possible to get players, but it would be much easier to get Penguin3D more players. If OldCP were to modernize, it would need easier ways to get gold, balanced CZ, and maybe even straight up deletion of some items or weapons.
The process of this would have been long and drawn out. It would be better for Damen to just focus his energy on P3D from now on. Although it’s technically SG that runs the whole thing, or at least some parts of it, I dunno, I also think it would be easier for him just to do whatever he wants with it. Let's face it. OldCP is dead. There’s no update saving it. Maybe it’s possible. Maybe it’s possible to change the economy by making gold easier to get, deleting overpowered weapons, nerfing CZ health, but it’s not worth the time.
But who knows what’ll happen with it.
Thoughts? Type in the comments.

+1 by Jesse, teig, Bailey, and 5 others
Own a musket for home defense, since that's what the founding fathers intended. Four ruffians break into my house. "What the devil?" As I grab my powdered wig and Kentucky rifle. Blow a golf ball sized hole through the first man, he's dead on the spot. Draw my pistol on the second man, miss him entirely because it's smoothbore and nails the neighbors dog. I have to resort to the cannon mounted at the top of the stairs loaded with grape shot, "Tally ho lads" the grape shot shreds two men in the blast, the sound and extra shrapnel set off car alarms. Fix bayonet and charge the last terrified rapscallion. He Bleeds out waiting on the police to arrive since triangular bayonet wounds are impossible to stitch up. Just as the founding fathers intended.

The Great
Master
1,520 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
18th June 2022, 07:10 PM

Sadly I don’t see OldCP becoming how it was then. The last time it was thriving was early 2020 during the pandemic and a lot of old faces returned. Remember the GOM? It was as big as the GOMs I remember when I was a kid. But then the game died, and iOldCP became the next cool thing and the future with me and SG being the main faces of it. We had a good thing going. Then Damen shut it down eventually, and the original game was never the same

+1 by Brit, Bailey, , SecurityGuy and 5 others, -1 by rami

178 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
19th June 2022, 01:48 AM

P3D is fun but you know what I don't like? having to ask CZ for stuff (like powers, items or weapons), I don't understand the lore I just want to have fun

+1 by Narcissa

im not religious
538 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
19th June 2022, 02:21 AM

When Disney's Club Penguin shut down, so many people were disappointed, and some were even heartbroken. I feel like what kept Disney's version alive up until its shutdown in 2017, was the constant Party updates and memberships. With OldCP, it was the CrimeZone and sense of community that kept the game alive.

Yes, Damen focuses on P3D more than ever, but the game needs major upgrades to get to the level of popularity OldCP had. Not only is the CrimeZone all over the place (it has been for the past few years, even on OldCP), but the game's map is confusing and if you're a new player, there's not much for you to do. Mining takes forever, and personally, I do not have the time to stand and click my mouse for a good hour or two to get a decent amount of ore.

Don't get me wrong, I recognize all the hard work Damen puts into P3D and I don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes, but from where I'm standing, the community is disorganized.
Quote:
You see, when a game starts dying, developers update it, add more things to appeal to more players to get them to join, or appeal to the Old Guard who are just about to pack up and leave. What was done when OldCP started to die was that they just started THROWING and I really do mean THROWING more CZ into it.
This is true. CZ became chaotic and then people started getting greedy for the power that was just being handed out because the CZ gods felt like it, and there were no punishments for it. There were so many random attacks on innocent players and eventually people became frustrated 'cuz they'd log on for a few seconds and get killed by either a bot or a rogue (I'm guilty of this). What killed OldCP is what initially brought it to life.

It's such a shame to see it die because many of us, myself included, have been here for nearly a decade and created bonds that were carried on into the real world.

I would love to watch the community grow into what it was 5 years ago but with a different generation, but the way things are now, there really is no hope for it unless somethings were to be changed. But that requires quite a bit of research and a little more money.

+1 by SecurityGuy

im not religious
538 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
19th June 2022, 02:27 AM

StoneClash wrote on 19th June 2022, 01:48 AM:
P3D is fun but you know what I don't like? having to ask CZ for stuff (like powers, items or weapons), I don't understand the lore I just want to have fun

See, I don't quite agree with this. This is the mentality that killed OldCP.
Narcissa wrote on 19th June 2022, 02:21 AM:
Quote:
Quote:
You see, when a game starts dying, developers update it, add more things to appeal to more players to get them to join, or appeal to the Old Guard who are just about to pack up and leave. What was done when OldCP started to die was that they just started THROWING and I really do mean THROWING more CZ into it.
This is true. CZ became chaotic and then people started getting greedy for the power that was just being handed out because the CZ gods felt like it, and there were no punishments for it. There were so many random attacks on innocent players and eventually people became frustrated 'cuz they'd log on for a few seconds and get killed by either a bot or a rogue (I'm guilty of this). What killed OldCP is what initially brought it to life.

CEO of Lorefiix
Master
2,037 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
19th June 2022, 05:30 AM

Hate to be the that guy, but personally, oldcp has had its time and day. People grew up and began new careers in education, new lifestyles, and possibly came out of that little shell where they enjoyed oldcp. Dont get me wrong, Oldcp stood out far greater than other cpps which makes it unique, but as time went on, there was nothing new. P3D is literally carrying on the legacy but for the new generation of users. We grew up playing 2d flash games, and now that 3d games are always going to be the THING , i don't see Oldcp getting close to what it use to be. And let's put this into perspective. Oldcp came out ages ago, most of us were still in our first year of elementary, or even high school. I was in preschool. Or 1 years old idk. And now its 2022. Most of us are turning 18. Most of us are over the age of 18. And those who are younger, are interested in different genre of games, not a 2d website game, that day is done.

As sad as it is, I would love to see oldcp prosper again, but it would take time.

+1 by Mercer, Narcissa and Jake01

Quote:
Lol and fart

Login or join the forums to reply.