How To: Perfect Your Application

Made by Chelsey in Applications

亡霊
Master
713 posts
Seen 6th October 2020
4th July 2015, 01:28 AM

General Tips
New applications are submitted every day to the DSGHQ, but some are overlooked due to bad organization, appearance, or grammar. Here are some tips to follow closely when applying for a rank.
  • Be sure your format is professional and easy to navigate. Sometimes too many decorative inclusions or too much colored text can give off a childish vibe and make administrators assume you aren't mature enough to properly moderate or represent the community.
  • Long applications are usually good when composed of the right information, but keep in mind that (much like an essay) the beginning and end of your application are the memorable pieces. Keep this in mind when organizing your application so you can make a big impact on readers with these two parts.
  • Sometimes summarizing things is better than explaining in detail. Let's be honest, most people don't take the time to read through a 4,000 word application, regardless of how great it is. Unless you're extraordinarily skilled in terms of keeping your readers interested, I recommend cutting it to the chase.
  • No matter how persistent you are, don't mail your application to a staff member or beg them to read it. This decreases your chances of being hired by at least 20%.

Information
If you can't think of the right information to include in your application, here are some things to definitely include, or definitely avoid.
  • Definitely include your timezone, age, experience, and special qualifications. These are the core components of an application.
  • Avoid explaining that you have good grammar. If your grammar is good, staff members will notice this while reading your application. Including your opinion on your own grammar just seems like a filler to make your application appear to have more information.
  • As great as it is to already know the moderation commands, they aren't exactly something you need to include in your application. Remember that an application is telling administrators about you, not the rank you want.
  • It's not required, but it's always nice to learn a bit about someone who's interested in a DSGHQ rank. Try including some of your favorite hobbies. It helps if you show leadership, patience, and/or responsibility through your favorite activities, though you should never fill your application with hobbies, because it's still an application, not a biography.

Application Format
If you still need help creating an application, here's a form you can fill out in a separate discussion that will give us all the necessary information about you. Just copy and paste to fill it out. Try answering in complete sentences (or even paragraphs) to increase your chances.
Quote:
  • Username:
  • Desired Rank:
  • Date joined:
  • Experience:
  • DSGHQ History:
  • Special Qualifications*:
*Special Qualifications: a special skill, knowledge, or ability that makes someone suitable for a particular job or activity.

I wish you the best of luck in your applications. Godspeed!

Article last updated: July 4, 2015, 1:28AM EST.

+1 by Lemonade, Ghosteal, Mists, greeny and 42 others

359 posts
Seen 7th January 2019
4th July 2015, 01:53 AM

Thanks Chelsey this will help lots of people improve their applications! But should't this be in the help and support section?

+1 by George
When life knocks you down, you have the choice to get back up or not.

Believe in others,others believe you.

To do something in a team you need a "WE".

亡霊
Master
713 posts
Seen 6th October 2020
4th July 2015, 02:01 AM

Ghosteal wrote on 4th July 2015 01:53 AM:
Thanks Chelsey this will help lots of people improve their applications! But should't this be in the help and support section?
Why would someone go in the Help and Support section to apply for a rank? This is an official tutorial so it's pinned to the top of the Applications category for those who are going to said category to apply.

+1 by George

359 posts
Seen 7th January 2019
4th July 2015, 02:08 AM

Oh okay,thanks for the reply!

When life knocks you down, you have the choice to get back up or not.

Believe in others,others believe you.

To do something in a team you need a "WE".

737 posts
Seen 28th May 2020
4th July 2015, 04:00 AM

Does this turturial include master applications? Anyway, great tutorial, this will definitely help
Other users, like me.

Queen Regent of Snaildom
Master
1,826 posts
Seen 15th August 2023
4th July 2015, 06:01 AM

Thanks Chelsey! You helped me find ways to improve my applications in the future!

+1 by George
<3

The Guy From Boston
Master
1,779 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
4th July 2015, 06:06 AM

This is helpful. I do have some problems when making applications is on the length which some people are picky on. Great tips!

OldCP/DSGHQ Veteran
1,357 posts
Seen 12th October 2020
4th July 2015, 07:45 AM

Hmm, this is a very good guide to applications. Just quite confused about this Special Qualification requirement. What can be an example for that, may I simply ask?

1,253 posts
Seen 30th June 2023
4th July 2015, 08:35 AM

Great guide. Hopefully "Help"'s suggestion comes true and you will be able to "bookmark" discussions. I would bookmark this one :)

OldCP Wise One
PM me if you need any help!

Ask me for help!
697 posts
Seen 5th March 2016
4th July 2015, 10:18 AM

Nice tips Chelsey, this would help users while making applications.

Night

"The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary is just the little Extra"

Rookie
37 posts
Seen 30th July 2015
4th July 2015, 11:21 AM

Thank you Chelsey. This will help other users with applications in the future.

night cruising
Master
2,329 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
4th July 2015, 12:50 PM

Great tutorial, it's going to help many users make better applications.

亡霊
Master
713 posts
Seen 6th October 2020
4th July 2015, 05:06 PM

greeny wrote on 4th July 2015 04:00 AM:
Does this turturial include master applications? Anyway, great tutorial, this will definitely help
Other users, like me.
Yes, it includes every rank.
Help wrote on 4th July 2015 07:45 AM:
Hmm, this is a very good guide to applications. Just quite confused about this Special Qualification requirement. What can be an example for that, may I simply ask?
Examples:

+1 by greeny and Bailey

340 posts
Seen 23rd October 2015
4th July 2015, 07:02 PM

Great advice Chelsey! This will help a lot of users I would think :) Have a great 4th of July night everyone!

103 posts
Seen 12th November 2015
6th July 2015, 06:56 PM

This is a really well written/detailed post and should be helpful to many who are interested in applying for ranks. Nice job, Chelsey. :)

Best Friends
Tori, Kara, Harrison, Allan, Gibran, Anmo, & Salsa

Login or join the forums to reply.