Music guide!

Made by Archie in Help and Support

Prince
Master
2,721 posts
Seen 14th March 2016
19th December 2013, 12:27 PM

Hello music fans!
I recently posted a mood that I'm excited about a duet I'm playing in. This was yesterday, and it was a huge success! I played my trumpet, my 16 yr old brother played the Tenor Saxophone. I've been playing since I was four, and now I'm thirteen. Nine years it's been.

However, I had a few replies from people asking what some of the musical words meant. In this guide I will tell you a bit about music!

Types of instrument:

There are a lot of well known instruments, but there's usually lots of different types of that one instrument. I will use the Saxophone as an example:

Soprano Saxophone - Highest pitch. They tend to be straight, but some have a curve in them.
Alto Saxophone- Most common, what you normally see. Relatively high pitched, very popular.
Tenor Saxophone - Lower pitch than the Alto. It is bigger than an Alto Saxophone, and usually has a very nice tone.
Baritone Saxophone - Lowest of them all, not very common. It uses base cleff if playing in groups of other instruments.

There are other instruments that have different types to, but not quite the same.

Musical terms:

Here are some musical terms that you might not know. Some are skills, and others have meanings.

Staccato- Means you accent the note. It is when you play the note loud for a very short time so it's tight, and is sudden. (Hard to explain).

Tonguing- An important technique used on instruments like Brass, woodwind. It's when you separate each note using your tongue to make it clear.

Slur- This is when you play multiple notes, but joined on together. It's a constant sound between each note. Again, used on instruments like Woodwind and Brass.

Timbre- This is the sound of an instrument. A Cymbal has a longer timbre than a Tom Tom because it's sounds lasts a lot longer.

Dynamics- The volume of your music. It's marked like this:

FF - Double forte, a very loud dynamic, not used much. Mainly in loud, exciting music.
F - Forte, a loud dynamic, quite commonly used.
MF - Metzo Forte, a relatively loud dynamic.
MP - Metzo Piano, a relatively quite dynamic.
P - Piano, a quite dynamic. Quite commonly used.
PP - Very quite, not used much. Mainly in soft music.

Thanks for reading my guide, I'm sorry if it isn't much interest to you. Please comment if I've forgotten something, or you need help.

Enjoy your day!

+1 by CPManiac and Preston

Some friends
Raindrop, Tennis, Abu, Sadie, Toby, Chelsey, Hashir, Kara, Damen, Bailey
I am that prince which you probably know from the DSGHQ! I'm obsessed with Jaffa Cakes and Stags!

B19 BOY
Master
2,048 posts
Seen 28th August 2023
19th December 2013, 12:46 PM

Hi Archie i love music too i love playing the trumpet what do u love to play?

+1 by Archie

Prince
Master
2,721 posts
Seen 14th March 2016
19th December 2013, 04:15 PM

Hi!
I play the trumpet as my main instrument, but I can play the guitar and talt myself the keyboard. I haven't tried drums yet...

Some friends
Raindrop, Tennis, Abu, Sadie, Toby, Chelsey, Hashir, Kara, Damen, Bailey
I am that prince which you probably know from the DSGHQ! I'm obsessed with Jaffa Cakes and Stags!

Login or join the forums to reply.