Death and Die

23rd July 2020

After nearly a millenium of holding the hardest job in the world, has the time finally come where he can put down his scythe?

Life was once full of love, light and the kindness of strangers. But now that there is a story to share, no one wants to listen. Rare is a person who wants to listen to a story of pain and despair. After nearly a millennium of life, I've begun to forget what it feels like to be without pain for when you take on a curse such as the world, you always have pain. You realize the weight of the world isn't just sorrow until you hold the world on your shoulders. It's also hatred, angry and anxiety. Love, joy and sadness. Mix these together and you are never without pain. Despite what's expected of me, I cannot go on like this. Not many people could go as long as I have, could hold the job that has kept me on Earth all this time. Fortunately, I am not like many people. However, the problem is that when you are not like most people, they tend to expect more and more of you until you have nothing left to give. And yet, they still want to take. I'm waiting for a renaissance of color for my life to begin again. Maybe I'm hiding in a metaphor and don't want to see the world as it is, but I can only hope that maybe one day I'll be free to float freely in my own world of light. This is a story set beyond time. Not before time, not after time, just beyond it. Without it. I'd like you to close your eyes and imagine it for a moment. Can't? I'm not surprised. You will soon, though. It's all part of the story... of my story.

Satisfied, the Grim Reaper closed his journal and adverted his gaze to the screen of dying humans. It wasn't many for once, just a slight handful. Elders, criminals, men and woman alike... his eyes scanned over the names until one caught his eye. His breath hitched in his throat and he stared wide-eyed at the name glowing red before him. No.... that can't be right. He quickly grabbed his scythe, pulling on his leather jacket before jumping through the portal that would lead him to the planet he despises above all others.. Earth.

Earth, Present Time

It was the evening time. Almost everyone had gone to sleep for the night, all expect for one. A girl, who was running as quickly as her feeble legs could carry her. He was here. She could sense him, but she could not let him get her. Despite the speed she was running at, her footsteps made no noise against the linoleum floor of her ward. She left her physical body behind. She had gone to sleep and never opened her eyes, she simply.. fell from her body. A transparent version of her physical form. He was coming for her. For years, ever since the girl was diagnosed with a terminal illness, she had seen him stalking her. She saw him all the time around the hospital, collecting the dead before the morticians could get to their bodies. In her eyes, he was the epitome of evil. He reveled in humans' fear of dying. She was, for one, not ready to die. This so-called final battle against death isn't the real battle. The real battle is the fight for existence. The fight to be remembered. And so, she was running. She had to stay alive long enough to achieve it.

He could sense her. He knew she was nearby, he knew she was running.. she was always running. Truth be told, she should've been dead ages ago. He simply pulled a few strings to ensure she would remain alive until the time was right. He stopped walking and waited, knowing she would find him soon enough. What he didn't expect was to feel her collide with him. He was used to the chilling sensation that flooded his veins whenever a soul touched him but she grimaced. He laughed.

''You know you couldn't outrun me forever, Maddie.'' he said, smiling triumphantly as he held out his hand. He wasn't going to harvest her soul.. yet. That would make his job difficult. Besides, the only way to pass through the spirit plane is if you're still tethered between the two realms. ''You're coming with me.''

She glared at him. ''I would rather die than go anywhere with the likes of you.'' she spat.

''Well, that's lovely considering you're technically already dead.'' he said sarcastically, grabbing her hand in his before summoning the gateway between the two worlds. ''Let's go.''

to be continued..