Into Darkness

13th January 2022

The story of one becoming a wraith.

One day, I was walking through the beautiful forest of Dorval. It was so serene. Everything was happy and quiet. Birds were softly chirping their greetings from the branches above my head. I softly called back to them in their tongue, or the closest I could replicate to it. They chirped back at me and together we sang a lovely song.

Unexpectedly, they stopped singing their part and all went dead silent in the forest. A sudden gloom came up and the forest turned dark. I struggled to see in the failing light. A menacing laugh came up behind me. I turned around, it was the feared Black Captain all the way from Cirith Ungol. For a moment my heart quailed, but I did not show it in my face.

“What do you want, Morgul Rat?” I grumbled. “You have disrupted my song with the birds!”

“My wants are not what you should be inquiring about, its what the Dark Lord wants,” he cackled.

“Ok, so what does your high and mighty lord want?” I mocked.

“You.” The Black Captain lunged forward, his morgul dagger in hand. I was too slow on the defense, I had left my sword behind me and was only carrying a stick. His blade managed to pierce my shoulder. It was quite a deep wound. I fell as he pulled the weapon back out.

“I’ll be seeing you soon...” he muttered, walking away. As he left, the sun returned and the birds started singing again. This time their song was solemn and of mourning.

I applied pressure to the wound, knowing it would do me little good in the long run if I could not find help. It was a wound from a morgul blade, without proper treatment, I would soon become a wraith. I went and sought help.

First I went to Nova Cave, as that’s where the most powerful healers tend to spend their time in studying and meditation. I was cast away from there by Manwe. “BEGONE FOUL CREATURE!” he shouted at me. He did not care for my kind though I had served him for years.

Then I managed to catch a boat to Stone Isle and sought out Aule. He was at the top of Kaduz. “Please, help me! I have been wounded by a morgul blade!” I cried out to him. “A wound you likely asked for. Begone, you smell like carrion!” He cast me away.

Then I got on a plane and went to Orome in the forest. “Please, your brothers have rejected me. I need healing or I will surely become a wraith!” I sobbed, I was becoming weaker and colder and the shadows were becoming clearer. “My brothers are wise not to help you. For did you not at one time curse my name? Begone, I wish to see you no more!” He threw a rock at me but missed.

Dejected, I decided to go and accept my fate. If none of the good would heal me, I would seek out evil and submit to the Dark Lord. Somehow I managed to get to Das. I crawled upon the sands and watched the setting sun, my back towards the evil tower of Baraddur. The thought of my life ending with the day seemed very fitting.

My vision sharpened with the darkness, I was almost fully into the wraith world. I was tired and cold from both the wound and the day’s traveling. I let my eyes droop shut, and as I was doing so, I saw the Black Captain approaching me. Part of me wanted to get up and run away but I felt as though my body had turned to stone. The other part of me no longer cared.

The Black Captain stood next to me and looked at the sunset for a moment, he muttered some words in the black speech, I understood them but I could not recall what they were. I passed out and the world turned dark just as he lifted me off the ground.

“Welcome to your doom."