28th September 2013

Links, Images, and Other Tools

Made by SecretResearcher in Help and Support

136 posts
Seen 8th March 2016
28th September 2013, 03:30 PM

A couple of people have been wondering how I've been able to show images or change words into links, so I've made this thread.

Fortunately, Damen has given us these tools already:

Here I will be going through each one of these tools.
B - Bold
The BB code "B" simply stands for bold. Bold allows us to make text look stronger and stand out more (which is why in HTML the tags <strong></strong> are also used to bold words). Usually words are bold to replace the use of capitalizing the words. Bold words can vary in usage from only one word to an entire paragraph (although they are commonly used for sentences). The tags for bold are "[ b ][ /b ]" with no spaces.
I - Italics
The BB code "I" stands for italics. Similar to the BB code for bold, italics are used to make text stand out as well. However, italicizing words make them look slanted, not stronger. This allows emphasis into a word, to show that it's important, but not necessarily used as widely as bold. Italicizing usually occurs to only one word or a group of words. The tags for italics are "[ i ][ /i ]" with no spaces.
U - Underline
The BB code "U" stands for underline. Underlining words is also used to make words stand out more and they are used for almost the exact same reasons as you would bold a word. The tags for underlining are "[ u ][ /u ]" with no spaces.
S - Strikethrough
The BB code "S is shortened for strikethrough. This means that a line is put through the text to symbolize that the text no longer has meaning. For example, if you looked up the U.S. Amendments, you will see certain amendments were taken down and never used again, but they are still shown. To show that those amendments are no longer under use, the document writers strike through the entire amendment. The tags for strikethrough are "[ s ][ /s ]" with no spaces.
Left, Center, and Right
The BB code for Left, Center, and Right all determine the placement of your content. By default, everything is aligned to the left. If you want the content to align to the center, use the center BB code. If you want to align the text to the right, use the right BB code. It is imperative that you don't use align center for your entire discussion. While you may think it will look organized, it is meant mainly for titles or subtitles, not for paragraphs. Note that I said content, not just text. This means you can enter images in between the BB code and it will align to your choosing. Aligning left is meant for paragraphs, aligning center is meant for titles/subtitles/fancy article appearances, and aligning to the right is mainly used for languages concerning you read from right to left (you may never need to align to the right for this forums). The tags for all three of these in order are as follows: "[ left ][ /left ]", "[ center ][ /center ]", and "[ right ][ /right ]".
Images
The BB code for images simply allows you to post an image. Please note that only the actually image's URL is accepted, meaning that the URL you put in between the tags must have only the image on the page and nothing else. (see http://forums.damenspike.com/view/?id=7917 for more details). The tags for images are [ img ][ /img ] with no spaces.
Links
The BB code for links allow you to link any content into another URL. Again, the use of the word content means you can share images and have them linked as well, not just text. When text is linked, it will, in many cases, be light blue and underlined. In other languages, you can edit this by removing the underlining altogether, changing the color of the text, allow different effects to occur when hovering over the text, and much more. Note: This feature is currently not working on this forums. However, the forums does automatically make text linked if they start with the standard URL formatting. The tags for links are "[ url ][ /url ]" with no spaces. Please note that you must put [url=] for the first tag along with the link you want the content inside the tags to point towards.
Quotes
The BB code for quote allows you to quote any other person's comment. For this forums, however, it does not tell you who the person is quoting. You must be careful about looking at quotes, because since the forum doesn't tell the name of who you're quoting, the person quoting can easily make their quote up (sorry for the overuse of the word "quote"). When quoting, the forums automatically spaces out text twice as much, so be careful on the length of the quote. You also can remove content from the quote if you meant to only quote a portion of the other post (see http://forums.damenspike.com/view/?id=6378 for more details). The tags for quotes are "[ quote ][ /quote ]" with no spaces.
Code
the BB code for code simply makes text into the style that you would see when typing in code for programming languages. This is commonly used when explaining code to someone, and although I'm explaining BB code right now, I won't be using it. It is unlikely that this will be used by many users either. The tags for code are "[ code ][ /code ]" with no spaces.
Size
The BB code for size alters the size of text. For these forums, the text can't go any lower than the standard amount. You can, however, increase the size of text to make titles and/or subtitles. The tags for size are "[ size= ][ /size ]" with no spaces.
Color
The BB code for color alters the color of the text. The colors can be identified either by their names or their hex code. A full list is:

from http://absitomen.com/index.php?topic=331.0

You can color various characters at once, and can form a rainbow of colors for just one word if you chose to. The tags for color are "[ color ][ /color ]" with no spaces. Please note that the color name or hex code goes in the first tag as [color=] after the equal sign.
Lists
The BB code for lists makes a list for your own use. This is probably the most complex code out of all of them, and can be altered to make lists that are unordered, lists involving numbers, and lists involving capital/lower-case letters. The tags for lists are "[ list ][ /list ]" with no spaces. To make bullets/numbers/letters, add a [ * ] with no spaces in between the tags for every point you make. The default list is in bullets, so to change the list into numbers, you make the first tag [ list=1 ], to make into capital letters you make it as [ list=A ], and to make it into lower-case letters you make it [ list=a ] with no spaces.

Hoped this help. I do realize there is some information missing, but hopefully you get the basics. I added plentiful information for lists just because it seems to be the one that requires the most detail.

+1 by Damen, Hashir, Kara, Moshi and 4 others
~ SecretResearcher

Banned
152 posts
17th October 2013, 03:00 AM

ty for the help

Rookie
31 posts
29th October 2013, 07:23 PM

how do you put photos in a album?

+1 by Zeternal
(Pikachu) Pokémon rocks (Pikachu)

136 posts
Seen 8th March 2016
30th October 2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
how do you put photos in a album?
Go to "Edit Pictures" and just put in the photo's URL in the suggested box. Be sure not to use any links such as prntscr and instead use the actual image link. To add more than one photo, just click the "+" icon next to the "Save" button.

~ SecretResearcher

Rookie
31 posts
30th October 2013, 08:50 PM

ok thanks but were do I find the url on the photo

(Pikachu) Pokémon rocks (Pikachu)

136 posts
Seen 8th March 2016
30th October 2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
ok thanks but were do I find the url on the photo
take the picture that you want, right click, and open the image in a new tab or window. This will show the URL that can be used for the Album.

~ SecretResearcher

maddie
597 posts
Seen 8th February 2023
30th October 2013, 09:32 PM

Great post! I can tell you spent a while on this! Very great for new user to forums! +1! :)

hi i am moshi

272 posts
Seen 26th February 2015
6th December 2013, 06:52 PM

Heres a question, how do you post pictures on your signiture?

Kitty Chesire Is looking at you.

1,071 posts
Seen 24th June 2023
6th December 2013, 07:22 PM

Yes, this is a good and helpful post! I respect it, because I remember when I was a new penguin, I was clueless of everything! This is helpful for many penguins, I'm glad you posted it! :)

Login or join the forums to reply.