22nd April 2020

A warning to lex and everyone else

Made by Sled in Reports

OldCP Administrator
Master
233 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
22nd April 2020, 11:35 AM

OldCP is a copy of Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Skyrim, Star Wars, etc.

+1 by ian

OldCP Administrator
Master
233 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
22nd April 2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Lex goes through with creating this copy of OldCP he will be IPbanned from DSGHQ services.

You said if i go through with it. You cant already put me on BOS of i havent made the game yet

-1 by ian

Rap Diablo
Master
3,463 posts
Seen 30th September 2022
22nd April 2020, 11:55 AM

Orbay wrote on 22nd April 2020, 08:58 AM:
While I completely agree that copying Damen's work is wrong, there are a couple of constructive criticisms that I want to give regarding this topic:
1. Nobody owns the assets to OldCP in general, including Damen.
While Damen did add a ton of custom rooms and weapons, at the end of the day, the core assets of OldCP don't belong to Damen. They belong to Disney. So OldCP itself is a copy of Club Penguin, and Damen almost got sued for it. So to blame Lex's OldCP for being a copy when OldCP itself is a copy is a bit ironic.
However, almost all of the weapon assets and the custom rooms belong to Damen, as he hand made them himself, so he's completely justified on getting mad on that part.
2. The sudden attention to Lex's OldCP means something.
This event should be taken as an opportunity for Damen to self-reflect on OldCP and the community as a whole. If OldCP really was a game which catered to what people wanted to see, then there wouldn't be such a drastic interest in Lex's OldCP, because everyone would have been content with OldCP in the first place.
The approach is completely wrong.
Before I get on with my next point, I'd like to tell you all about an era most want to forget: The Charles era.
Now, Charles was, at one point, Emperor and Owner of OldCP. Although it wasn't a complete disaster, a lot of poor decisions were made during his time in charge. One of the things he did which made users hate him the most is being done right now.
When Kathcal (another user with a controversial past) made her own OldCP remake, an announcement was issued, warning people not to play the game and threatening to permanently ban anyone who did. This, in turn, caused the game to gain a lot of traction, and while it did eventually close down, it caused OldCP to go completely empty for a period of time.
History is currently repeating itself, and here we are, reading another announcement threatening to ban people who visit the game.
To sum up my criticism, if you want people to stay on OldCP, you (Damen) need to improve the game to suit what people want to see on here, and give them a reason to stay. Warning people and threatening to ban them will only further distance them from OldCP entirely, and deem Lex's OldCP much more desirable.
Trust me, I've had firsthand experience.

Many forget how much Charles' era and this incident changed the DSGHQ forever. This was the time when Oldcp crashed for a very long time up until recently. Very sad to remember and hopefully it will not happen again.

+1 by Mercer, Frogs and Moni

OldCP Administrator
Master
233 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
22nd April 2020, 11:57 AM

Oldcp is dying and Adobe Flash is ending in December. You guys have had this for 6 years. Cant i just make my own version without you guys banning good users from your game? People make Copies on CPPSCreator all the time

-1 by Sled and ian

graphic designer
3,098 posts
Seen 30th August 2023
22nd April 2020, 11:58 AM

lexrocks1 wrote on 22nd April 2020, 11:57 AM:
Oldcp is dying and Adobe Flash is ending in December. You guys have had this for 6 years. Cant i just make my own version without you guys banning good users from your game? People make Copies on CPPSCreator all the time
then go make a copy on cppscreator using cppscreator files

+1 by EbonJaeger and Loki

OldCP Administrator
Master
233 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
22nd April 2020, 12:08 PM

Sleddy wrote on 22nd April 2020, 11:58 AM:
Quote:
lexrocks1 wrote on 22nd April 2020, 11:57 AM:
then go make a copy on cppscreator using cppscreator files

no

+1 by Frogs, ian and Pencil

Master
444 posts
Seen 30th August 2023
22nd April 2020, 03:02 PM

Orbay wrote on 22nd April 2020, 09:18 AM:
Quote:
Sleddy wrote on 22nd April 2020, 09:03 AM:
Quote:
-snip-
Okay well it's true that damen doesn't own a lot of the oldcp content. But everything he customized took a lot of time and effort. Plus OldCP crimezone. Plus a lot of people are just going to play Lex's version of OldCP for ranks which is understandable.
But this is how it is. If you don't want to be loyal to OldCP and play a replica of it then go do it, just know you will be banned for it.
Lex is only making this CPPS because he never gets his way on OldCP and is BOS. He can't code, he has to rely on Rocket for that. And Rocket himself would never update OldCP when he owned it except for a few times, so don't expect much, lol.
Before I get to the point, I'll touch up on the custom content and cz part. I already agreed that Lex using custom content would be just wrong. Same goes for cz. However, I doubt the cz would be copied because there are so many other events that could be played out as cz.
Now, the main point. I'm not justifying Lex making an OldCP remake, nor am I defending him for it, but this is about so much more than Lex wanting revenge. This about the "loyalty" term that is keep being thrown left and right
That loyalty you mentioned, doesn't exist.
I have seen people who have spent years on this game and have completely devoted themselves to Damen and the Empire, only to be completely ignored and swept aside.
I know Damen can't get to every single person, but you'd at least give someone who spent years on here a chance. Plus, it's not just Damen that could have done it. Any admin could have given them a chance, but they just kept ignoring them as well. Not to mention, some of these people continued to play the game despite the staggering userbase in November and December of last year, and now that all the "OG users" are back again, they're completely swept to the side once more.
OldCP isn't a game that rewards you for "loyalty". It's an inclusive clique that, if you somehow manage to get in, you will continue to be in it, and it has come to a point where because the same people keep getting ranks over and over due to "experience", people who actually want a chance and have worked for it are completely ignored.
Loyalty goes both ways. If you want users to treat the game and the Empire with respect, then the least the Empire can do is acknowledge that they exist.
I'll give a quick example. I have seen various users who have asked me how to become a Knight ever since I came back. And I couldn't give them an answer. I just couldn't. Because there is no set system for someone to apply or to train for a rank. There were attempts to make a set system, thanks to Cristal and a few others' efforts, but they don't exist anymore. In fact, there is no set system to do anything in this game. Sure, you can tell them to make a forums post, but the only response they'll get is a couple of "I hope you get the rank!" and "You need more experience"s in the replies.
" You need more experience"
They can't exactly get experience if they aren't given any chances, can they?
And if a replica of OldCP pops up where they will be actually noticed for their efforts, then you'd expect them to try their chance there, wouldn't you?
I couldn't have worded what you said any better myself. Your words truly lined up with my thoughts and feelings. This comment made me think about the session that was hosted a few days ago where all old people were given ranks that so many others tried hard for, and it was all planned to be like that too; it honestly devastated me. I know what it's like personally to work your ass off and to not get noticed for your actions. I also know what it feels like to be thrown out when you were doing the most. It's not a good feeling and I feel like I've been treated like that a bit too much. So, if Lex did create a game and I had thoughts of checking it out, could you blame me?

+1 by Moni

Daymen
Administrator
5,165 posts
Seen 23rd June 2024
22nd April 2020, 03:29 PM

Thanks Sled, it means a lot and I couldn't put it better myself. People who go there will either do it for memes or with hopes of getting 'stuff' that they don't get on OldCP. If they do, then that is their reward. They will never have a reward with me and my oldcp as they have chosen their reward already.

+1 by Brit, Sled and door

IKEA Swedish Meatballs
Master
492 posts
Seen 5th October 2020
22nd April 2020, 03:31 PM

While I understand the desire to protect your work, @Damen, I'll just say this: Those who seek to rule by fear do not rule long. Punish the leader, not the followers. To do otherwise is insane. That's just my take; I shall say no more.

+1 by Lorenzo

Daymen
Administrator
5,165 posts
Seen 23rd June 2024
22nd April 2020, 03:43 PM

EbonJaeger wrote on 22nd April 2020, 03:31 PM:
While I understand the desire to protect your work, @Damen, I'll just say this: Those who seek to rule by fear do not rule long. Punish the leader, not the followers. To do otherwise is insane. That's just my take; I shall say no more.

If my players want their share to be on a rival OldCP, then they will have no share on my OldCP. I worked hard on it, see how many years I put into it. Now, if anyone wants to make a rival OldCP, do so using your own custom work, dont take mine and I shall have no issue with you playing it. But play an OldCP with my stuff copied into it and you will have no share with me.

+1 by EbonJaeger, Brit, randy, Sled and 4 others

IKEA Swedish Meatballs
Master
492 posts
Seen 5th October 2020
22nd April 2020, 03:50 PM

Damen wrote on 22nd April 2020, 03:43 PM:
If my players want their share to be on a rival OldCP, then they will have no share on my OldCP. I worked hard on it, see how many years I put into it. Now, if anyone wants to make a rival OldCP, do so using your own custom work, dont take mine and I shall have no issue with you playing it. But play an OldCP with my stuff copied into it and you will have no share with me.
That's fair. It just hasn't sounded that way, though. It's been made to sound that going to any competing service would get you banned. If it's just that, then meh, carry on and forget I said anything. :)

+1 by Lorenzo

graphic designer
3,098 posts
Seen 30th August 2023
22nd April 2020, 05:16 PM

EbonJaeger wrote on 22nd April 2020, 03:50 PM:
Quote:
Damen wrote on 22nd April 2020, 03:43 PM:
That's fair. It just hasn't sounded that way, though. It's been made to sound that going to any competing service would get you banned. If it's just that, then meh, carry on and forget I said anything.

Yeah. It's just this one because it's clear that they are using Damen's stuff. I went onto the discord server and it was pretty clear that they would use Damen's stuff. You can't have swords, guns, islands, etc. without Damen's work.

+1 by EbonJaeger and Lorenzo

Veteran
Master
3,526 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
22nd April 2020, 05:21 PM

Sleddy wrote on 22nd April 2020, 10:53 AM:
Quote:
Orbay wrote on 22nd April 2020, 10:42 AM:
Quote:
Sleddy wrote on 22nd April 2020, 09:33 AM:
Quote:
Orbay wrote on 22nd April 2020, 09:18 AM:
-snip-
-snip-
We have hired another admin which will help a lot and we have some admins who are laying low but helping me on the admin server to fill requests. I think the biggest issue is Damen ignroes a lot of what I try to tell him (no offense damen). Plus I'm the first EH with no DB access so I can't solve a lot of issues on my own.
I do like your council idea though, it is quite hard for a new user to understand the essence of oldcp and why it's so different from all the other servers. I just wish I had the ability to do more since Damen is very busy all the time, but I'm EH and I have to stay within my lane. I can't do a lot without his permission and sometimes I don't get a response to my questions for permission.

I sympathize with your pain. Most EHs had no DB access and solely relied on Damen for a lot of things (including myself). Damen is a busy person so I get it but it just sucks

+1 by Sled, door and EbonJaeger
"Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V

oreo
341 posts
Seen 27th July 2022
23rd April 2020, 07:50 AM

Sleddy wrote on 22nd April 2020, 09:03 AM:
Quote:
-snip-
Okay well it's true that damen doesn't own a lot of the oldcp content. But everything he customized took a lot of time and effort. Plus OldCP crimezone. Plus a lot of people are just going to play Lex's version of OldCP for ranks which is understandable.
But this is how it is. If you don't want to be loyal to OldCP and play a replica of it then go do it, just know you will be banned for it.
Lex is only making this CPPS because he never gets his way on OldCP and is BOS. He can't code, he has to rely on Rocket for that. And Rocket himself would never update OldCP when he owned it except for a few times, so don't expect much, lol.

Thing is sled, If Lex’s oldcp gets some users, it will eventually get advertised and end up like ioldcp

NotLorenzo

Login or join the forums to reply.