9th May 2020

Useless Knowledge: Edition 3

Made by Loki in Cool Stuff

Queen of Vultures
Administrator
1,641 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
9th May 2020, 04:50 PM

This edition of Useless Knowledge is about a neat historical site in the country of Jordan known of as Petra, or the Rose City.

You may better recognize the city of Petra from this image, is thought to have been a treasury building.

Or perhaps you will better recognize it from this scene:

Thank you, Indiana Jones. :)

Petra was once a flourishing center of civilization where caravans of traders from all around would cross roads. The city was carved into the sandstone rock of the mountain in the desert. The land there is now arid and dry so why did people come there and stay? What did they drink? Well, water was available in Petra due to a water management system that was well ahead of its time. It even included underground cisterns that stored water to be used during times of drought.

Petra is thought to have become abandoned around the year of AD 366, and was only rediscovered in the early 1800s. Since then, less than half of the city has been explored as it is so large. Petra covers over 100 square miles of land, which is four times bigger than the city of Manhattin. It is one of Jordan's most visited tourist sites.

Not all of Petra is in as pristine condition as seen in the examples above. The site is constantly facing erosion from the winds and the airborne sand particles as well as other natural factors. There have been some steps take to slow erosion on the site. The area is also prone to flash flooding in the months of January and February. Though the previously mentioned water system helps to prevent and reduce such occurrences. It is constantly monitored and up kept to help preserve the lost city.

I hope you enjoyed this edition of Useless Knowledge. Petra is one of my favorite sites to see pictures of and I think it's be really cool to go there someday to tour and explore the area.

Sources found here and here.

+1 by EbonJaeger, Dice, Jdutr, Brit and 2 others

IKEA Swedish Meatballs
Master
492 posts
Seen 5th October 2020
9th May 2020, 04:56 PM

Ayy, the Petra! It's also a desert wonder in Civilization VI, and if you've ever watched Quil18's streams or videos, you might know it is a bit of a meme in his community. :P

I didn't know it was a full city of such a large size, though. That's really cool.

+1 by Loki, Jdutr and Brit

Christ is King
1,266 posts
Seen 2nd August 2023
9th May 2020, 07:19 PM

I love useless knowledge! So much that I actually knew this, LOL!

+1 by Loki

Login or join the forums to reply.