25th June 2020

Useless Knowledge: Edition 5

Made by Loki in Cool Stuff

Queen of Vultures
Administrator
1,641 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
25th June 2020, 01:10 AM

Today's edition of Usless Knowledge is on Ravens and Crows.

Ravens and crows are the smartest of all the bird species, they are ranked to have intelligence near that of what primates have demonstrated. They are both said to have a remarkable memory when it comes to recognizing human faces. They can remember if a person is a friend or foe to them and will approach or avoid the person accordingly. They can also recognize a person if they see them outside of the usual area in which they may interact.

Ravens and crows are also noted for their ability to make tools to help them carry out tasks regarding food obtaining. At one point, I had read about a person who in a large city had set up a feeder for crows. The only way they could get food out of it was by placing a coin in a slot. The crows figured this out and would frequent the feeder. They are also attracted to picking up shiny things. If you befriend a crow, they may bring you back treasures that they find.

Here are a couple videos demonstrating some of their intelligence.

Ravens have also been known to be able to mimic human speech, much like what some parrots are capable of doing. Ravens are more likely to learn to mimic human speech if they have been in captivity. They can also learn to mimic noises that they have heard and even do this in the wild.

And lastly, here is just a cute video of a raven playing in the snow.

Sources can be found here, here, and here.

+1 by kace, randy, , Melian and 14 others

Banned
1,172 posts
Seen 10th August 2023
25th June 2020, 02:08 AM

That's very interesting!

+1 by Loki, Brit and Warth

<3
Master
1,652 posts
Seen 30th July 2022
25th June 2020, 07:06 AM

Thank you Loki, very cool

+1 by , Brit and Loki

DJ
Master
2,814 posts
Seen 24th May 2023
25th June 2020, 09:01 AM

Some more useless knowledge about ravens, in particular:

- On a school trip to the Tower of London when I was like 10 or 11, my stupid school decided it'd be nice to settle down and eat lunch BY THE RAVEN'S FIELD - which lead to ALL my food getting stolen and someone else in another class getting BITTEN. Hats off to my teacher for buying me a sandwich and my mates sharing their food <3
- Legend has it that if the ravens from the Tower of London were to escape the tower premises, the entire place would collapse to pieces.

+1 by HamilHelp, Brit, , Loki and 4 others

Christ is King
1,266 posts
Seen 2nd August 2023
26th June 2020, 12:25 AM

Yes! I love this useless knowledge edition, LOL! Keep them coming Loki! +1

+1 by Paul

Login or join the forums to reply.