25th July 2020

Dice's Official Retirement Post

Made by Dice in Introductions and Leaving

News Reporter
4,301 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
25th July 2020, 03:23 PM

Her name was Rookie and she was a small crested rock. I really loved her a lot, for such a small thing she had so much personality. She would always walk onto my hand if I held it out for her and would jump to the cage door if I was home from work.

For the last week, she had been sluggish and not climbing at all. She stopped visiting me when I came home and stayed on the cage floor. I knew deep down it was her age, but I wanted to just believe she was just maybe a little out of it, so I tried to keep her healthy and hydrated. Just today I came home and found her motionless, i went to touch her gently and saw she was still breathing and stiff. But she was clearly weak and the breathing was shallow. I didnt want to bother her, I know rocks get stressed out by human touch when they are uncomfortable, so I left her.

An hour later she was dead, I knew because when I went to touch her, she was limp, she had never been so limp before.

I told my sister and showed her the body as I was taking it to the backyard for a burial, she seemed shocked, but oddly asked to take a pic. I told her no as it was weird.

I buried her, grieved for a few hours, and decided I would stay home from work tomorrow.

My parents came home and I told them, they were respectful, well my mom at least was sympathetic, my dad didnt do much but listen. I just came back upstairs and I heard them talking, my dad and sister dont exactly have quiet voices.

They said that I was overreacting, how maybe if it was the dog I should be upset and crying. And how my managers would think I would be stupid if I called in for the death of a rock.

I thought they would be respectful, but I guess they really didnt care for her or how much she meant to me. It makes me furious, but I dont have the energy to confront them. She may have been small, and not the brightest, but I really did love Rookie, I've had her since I was in elementary. I just wish they were more understanding about this.

+1 by indigo and seagull cool, -1 by Frogs

Login or join the forums to reply.