1st September 2020

Useless Knowledge: Edition 8

Made by Loki in Cool Stuff

Queen of Vultures
Administrator
1,641 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
1st September 2020, 05:02 PM

This edition of Useless Knowledge is about North Korea and their concept of Juche or self-reliance.

Juche is an official North Korean political ideology that is centered around Kim Il Sung's ideology that basically, man is the master of its own destiny and that the people are the masters of revolution and construction. It calls for one man to rule a society, in which the leader can be thought of as the "brain" of an organism and the people over which he rules are thought of as the body and the limbs. Thus making both sides dependent on one another and eliminating the possibility of another person taking over.

Juche pushes the idea that a society should be self reliant and strong, not having to depend on any kind of outside help. This includes in things like assistance in the country's defense and economy. It also pushes the idea that a country should be completely independent of any outside influence, which includes cultural influence. This ideology has helped contribute to North Korea being a very closed off country, with the majority, if not all, of the world being left in the dark on what goes on in North Korea and the living standards of the North Korean people.

On September 9, 1997, the North Korean calendar changed and was based off of the Juche idea. Since Kim Il Sung is considered to be the Father of North Korea and the Juche ideology, the Juche year of the calendar starts at the year of Kim Il Sung's birth (1912). North Korea has not completely eliminated the calendar that the rest of the world uses, any year before 1912 is not referred to in Juche years and sometimes both years are seen listed on documents, particularly documents that deal with foreign relations. When both are listed, the gregorian calendar year is listed in parentheses after the Juche year.
Currently, the year is Juche 109.

Sources can be found here, here, and here.

+1 by , Ras, eugee, SecurityGuy and 6 others

Rookie
22 posts
Seen 5th June 2022
2nd September 2020, 12:14 PM

loki you keep me right, never kept me so tight.

-1 by sel, nnnnn4r4, officialbattyboy, Silento and 2 others
sometimes when i say "Im okay" i want someone to look me in the eyes and say "I know you arent".

livin life
Master
237 posts
Seen 21st August 2023
2nd September 2020, 02:33 PM

Loki teaching me useless things really makes my day better :)

+1 by Loki

Login or join the forums to reply.