22nd September 2020

Entrance to Egyptian Afterlife

Made by Carly in Cool Stuff

positions
Banned
679 posts
Seen 10th October 2022
22nd September 2020, 12:41 AM

Ancient Egyptian's were big philosophers in the prophet of their gods and where they would rest for eternity when they die. Their religion was complex filled with many different teachings and deities. Religion was a major contributor in daily life of Egypt and was used in social practice bounding all Egyptians in one scale starting from Pharaohs - Government Officials, Nobles, Priests - Soldiers - Scribes - Merchants - Craftsmen - Farmers/Slaves. In many ways Ancient Egypt and the DSGHQ are very alike with some roles tweaked in their own ways. Each Egyptian god had their own role in what they protected and harbored power over with their being over 2,000 deities! The solidification and commencement of these doctrines were formed in the creation of afterlife texts which illustrated and explained what the dead would need to know in order to complete the journey safely. The three main things Egyptians knew about their existence was an underworld, eternal life, and rebirth of the soul. The Underworld also known as the "Duat", had only one entrance that could be reached by traveling through the tomb of the deceased. After reaching their beloved underworld all who enter shall be greeted by Osiris (Ruler of the Underworld). Osiris would determine the virtues possessed of the deceased soul and grant those deserving a peaceful afterlife. The entire concept of the afterlife was being reborn. Those who lived their life without sin would be guided to be re-birthed by Osiris. Ultimately, maintaining high religious morals by both the living and the dead, as well as complying to a variety of traditions guaranteed the deceased a smoother transition into the underworld.

Here's an image of Anubis the dog of Death weighing out someones life choices.

I wanted to talk about a history topic that always fascinated me, inspired by @Loki

+1 by V, SecurityGuy, EbonJaeger, Faith and 6 others

IKEA Swedish Meatballs
Master
492 posts
Seen 5th October 2020
22nd September 2020, 10:49 AM

Ancient Egypt is such a fascinating topic. It's probably my favorite ancient culture and society. :D

Login or join the forums to reply.