Fiction February Submission

Made by Pablo in Cool Stuff

Not Picasso
Master
169 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
17th February 2021, 02:44 PM

Sunglasses

WHEN I OPENED my eyes, they were torched by the sun and I started seeing floating spots after blinking repeatedly. I rubbed them, stood up from my bed and glanced at the mirror - only to find myself hating how I look more each day. I have curly hair, light brown eyes and a nose longer than Squidward's. I brushed my teeth and went on with my day.

The walk to school wasn’t that long, considering I had an extra four wheels attached to some plywood moving me onward. It only took me a second to realize that someone was sitting on a bench no one would dare to sit on - only because the wood on it was deteriorating as we speak. I saw the silhouette of the backside of a girl wearing a sunhat holding what looked like a stick or cane of some sort. I didn’t think too much about it and my attention quickly shifted to a group of kids rumbling to get onto the school bus.

After I sat at my desk, the teacher said we had a new student in class and what do you know? In, walked a girl with a sunhat and introduced herself saying her name was Charlotte. She placed her hat next to my skateboard and sat down at her desk. But there was something strange about her. Sure, I won’t deny that it was scorching hot outside, but after 10 minutes into the lecture, she never took off her sunglasses. With half of the room already with the lights off and the curtains slightly shut, I figured it was already dim enough but I found it weird that she would leave them on.

School ended with me packing up my bag with some leftover snacks my friend gave me. Then I heard a sudden click on the floor and saw a pair of sunglasses land beside me. “Could you pick those up for me?” I turned around, looked up and saw Charlotte covering the top of her face with her entire arm. I wondered why she just didn’t reach for them herself but thought that maybe she was trying to hide something on her face. I gave them to her and she quickly turned around to put them on. “Hi I’m Wilbur” I said. I thought about what I was going to say next - whether I was going to ask her why she sat on the decaying bench this morning or why she wore her sunglasses the entire class. Both were stupid questions but before I could get a word out, she was already out the door. On my way back home, I made a pitstop to the warehouse and used the spare change in my pocket to purchase some cheap wooden boards. I went to that same bench and decided to salvage what was left of it with the new materials I bought.

Early next morning, I began my routine by taking my dog out in my backyard. I looked over the fence and could see Charlotte sitting on the bench so I decided to approach her. “Like the new bench?” I asked proudly. “Did you fix it?” she asked. I nodded but after an awkward silence, she said, “Well if it was you, I’m very grateful.” With the sun still having to rise, I thought it was appropriate to ask her why she was still wearing her sunglasses. "Isn't it too early to be wearing your sunglasses?" She replied, “You see, I was born blind. But I like coming here to see the sunrise.” Maybe I was too young to understand it so I scratched my head saying, “But if you can’t see, how would you know when the sun is rising?” She giggled saying, “I like to imagine it." And just like that, the sun started to rise.

+1 by rouge, SecurityGuy, zenny, Tommo and 13 others

Administrator
144 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
17th February 2021, 02:52 PM

Aww I love this. Great story Pablo! :D

DJ
Master
2,814 posts
Seen 24th May 2023
17th February 2021, 04:59 PM

its absolutely amazing to see how far you've come pablo. you're a strong person and a strong writer!

i hope you're on path for a speedy recovery so you can get back to doing what you do best :)

+1 by Pablo

im not religious
538 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
26th February 2021, 10:10 AM

AAAA this is so good

+1 by Pablo

Login or join the forums to reply.