26th April 2021

The Only Way OldCPv16 Will Succeed

Made by jay in Feedback

Rookie
2,706 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
26th April 2021, 12:57 PM

OldCPv16 has started on a slow start, with users slowly losing interest and no motivation to play.

The users of this community aren't patient at all, and they'll quit the game if nothing is going on.

Some of the ideas for this version of OldCP aren't all that great, and while it may sound good, it actually isn't.

Going through Damen's official proposals for OldCPv16, we see some questionable and major decisions that were made.

> No Warden, I, Damen, will be in charge

This here is the worst decision that could've been made. Damen, you are focused on a completely different game which needs to be monitored by you A LOT. You need to make updates, focus on new ideas for the game, and host the events needed. The idea of no warden is so questionable because you have such a busy schedule, and iOldCP was mainly popular due to the users running the game. It's fine for you to have control over the game, but a warden is NECESSARY. The admins can't constantly be going to you and waiting long hours for you to respond because it is delaying progress and slowly drifting users away. Appointing a warden is only making things easier for you. P3D won't die down with the activity of OldCP going up, as the P3D community and the OldCP communities are a lot different. Most P3D users don't play OldCP over P3D, and many OldCP users love P3D.

> CZ which continues from iOldCP but is more balanced & has new aspects depending on the creativity of those in charge of it

This idea probably won't work very well. OldCP has many create requests, and creating a balance is just scamming peoples' money. People bought their items for a reason, to have more power and have their own weapons. If you're nerfing their weapons to make things balanced, they won't be happy. Create has caused many issues which is why there was such an unbalanced game back in quarantine, and desperate users purchasing create requests to get even with their opponents.

No Empire (not sure if this is official, but saw it brought up)

This idea would never work on OldCP. OldCP is all about the empire, and what would CZ even be about? Crimezone needs a purpose, and what would be the goal? Evil always wanted to conquer the islands and the South, but if there's no empire, what are they even after? Also, Emperor Helper was such a huge role to have, and many users got the opportunity to get it due to resignations, which added more fun to the game. This also helped Damen when we couldn't catch up with the game as much, and administrators aren't always online to watch.

Now, we will talk about what causes OldCP's inactivity.

Lack of Crimezone

Crimezone doesn't have an official time, which causes users to be clueless on when it will occur. No one in this community is staying on OldCP for hours for a CHANCE of crimezone. I know it isn't ideal because crimezone is supposed to be a surprise, but a scheduled time for crimezone isn't that bad of an idea. If you think about it, you can't just start crimezone with two users on and a removed Crime Office server where you could ping for crimezone. Crimezone is all people play for, no one really cares about the nostalgia feeling and living in the old times of OldCP. People just want to fight and play through the OldCP Crimezone story and watch it unfold. Damen said CZ would happen more if users logged on, but I feel like everyone can agree with me when I saw that I'm not staying on OldCP all day waiting for crimezone, especially since sometimes it is short or for people with access to wisemothchambers only. Sometimes the crimezone is private, and its not fun for the users.

Lack of Communication Between the Admins and Users

We need the OldCP discord back. The community got together very well, and I feel like there's literally no drama in this community anymore. Maybe sometimes it happens, but it can be handled easily with a communicative and well-connecting staff team. Discord staff needs to be chosen wisely, and not given to power hungry people. The reason drama unleashed was because the moderators weren't moderators because they wanted to be moderators, but they wanted to be a step-closer to Administrator. With our community now, I think we can do a way better job.

Presidency

We need a President that can speak for the users. Someone who knows the users well and has the knowledge to know what the game requires for an active userbase is necessary. We need a "board" for different aspects of this game. Administrators should focus on actually running the game and fulfilling requests of the users, while the President finds new ways to make the game better and more active while implementing ideas. For this to happen, however, Damen needs to listen and fulfill our requests. We need a good owner who can listen to their users, and not be selfish and run the game they want it to be run. I understand SOMETIMES what the users want can be dramatic and a big change to the game, but something like transforms purchases going to the Imperial Bank should've been done a long time ago and is only helping the LOTB not run into bankruptcy within 2 months.

Moderators Run The Game As Well

I never understood why moderators don’t hold more responsibility. I feel like the two most trusted and reliable moderators, which should be the Head Moderator and an experienced and active user, should have administrative DRAKE accounts. Head Moderator should indefinitely have a Rank 5 DRAKE IN 1-2 MONTHS SINCE PROMOTION when they’ve built enough trust to hold something like that. I say 1-2 months because the Head Moderator role shouldn’t be given out. It’s literally you being the role model and leader of the staff team. Why do you think people like me and Swirlie got bored of Head Moderator? Over time, when you’ve already established your staff team, it gets really boring and useless. I made a Moderator Guideline which tells the Moderators what they needed to do in every single scenario, already trained the staff, and already handled any issues that the Moderators had. Head Moderator needs more responsibility than having “a title” after doing everything that needs to be done, and it doesn’t take that long to accomplish your goals as Head Moderator. Give the Head Moderator a Rank 5 DRAKE when they’ve proven themselves, and allow one single Moderator to have a Rank 4 DRAKE so they can gain experience and learn from their higher-ups for whenever it is their time to administrate OldCP. I don’t see an issue with this. Allow the moderator into the Administrator’s group chat and let them learn and take notes for the future. First-time administrators always have problems with commands or just leading the game in general, and it’s not bad to gain experience. Allow Head Moderators to promote new moderators that are approved by the admins on their DRAKE accounts rather than waiting on an administrator to do it for them. Head Moderator gets boring!! When I was Head Moderator, I wanted a Rank 4 just to help at least a bit more because I felt like I was doing nothing but holding the rank. Moderators are active and know the users more than anyone, so this idea isn’t bad at all.

Database Health and Weapon Damage

No weapon should do more than 50 to a non-op user. One hit weapons shouldn’t be a thing because it causes imbalance and drives users away because they can’t compete. 200 database for every user should be a thing as well. Just because a crime zone character said you can have 300 database doesn’t mean it is fair. Users need to be equally treated and it starts to get unfair if you’re a user who wants to partake in crimezone, but can’t due to your account not being strong enough to compete. A good proposal would be:

CLSB and similar: 25 per hit to non-op users. Can be buffed with icestone/firestone

Create Items: Whether a sword or saber, it costs the same amount of money. If you purchased a create, whether you imported your own weapon with a $5 create or Damen created it himself, it should do 35 damage because it took money to create. This game shouldn’t be about, “Who can spend the most money”, and it should be balanced and fair for everyone.

The Leads of Crimezone/Crimezone’s Favorites: 50 Damage Weapons is all they need. There is literally no need for a 100 damage weapon that shreds everyone’s health away in just a few hits. It causes people to relogin and fear for ones’ account which causes BOT WARS. Also causes wars to be boring and not fought anymore.

Bots: Spawn limit of 5 for each person. No need for more than that because there are users who are also fighting and many users with bots such as Miro, Akkar, Rouge, Orbay, and CZ characters like PIG in the past. If there are two people with bots in the same room, I think it is fair that each of them have a limit of two bots to spawn each at that time because people aren’t trying to watch a bot war in spawn. Bots shouldn’t do more than 30 damage and should have a database health of 100.

Conclusion

I feel like most people can agree with these ideas, but its all up to Damen on whether they’re passed or not. I’m not saying implement everything here, but take some of these into consideration because I feel like these ideas would make OldCP more enjoyable and fun, and create new things to look forward to.

+1 by randy, Laka, Mercer, rouge and 19 others

Donec mors nos separaveri
1,013 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
26th April 2021, 02:17 PM

Thank you for taking the time to write this extensive post detailing what must be done to improve the game. I'll make some remarks about the key points in this post so people have an idea of what's going on behind the scenes:

1. Regarding the Warden situation
I completely agree with this, but I feel I must clear something up. Damen is technically the "warden" of the game, but admins have the authority to do what is needed without the need to ask Damen, as long as it's not abuse or something of the sort. This applies for the cz managers as well. This means we'll be add more changes to the game at a more frequent basis.

2. Regarding create requests
At the moment, excluding bots, there are no create requests that are inherently game breaking. All create sabers more or less have the same damage value as regular sabers, so it won't affect the fair nature we're striving to achieve.

3. Regarding the Empire
The Empire being removed is official, and it has been replaced with an adminocracy (oligarchy of admins). Though I'm not involved in the cz process, I believe that this will allow cz to take place in other islands, rather than the usual "bad guys trying to take over the South" trope. This supports what I said in point 1, about admins having more authority to do as needed.

4. Regarding crimezone
I actually really like the idea of having an official time for cz, and I passed this along to the cz managers, who seem to have liked it as well. Updates regarding this will be announced in the future.

5. Regarding the lack of communication
My and Rouge's dms on Discord are always open, so anyone can message us if needed. And regarding the Oldcp Discord server, the current Crime Office server currently serves the same function.

6. Regarding Presidency
Though I don't think Presidency will be happening anytime soon, I definitely agree that this game is lacking in certain regards. At the moment, admins are in charge of the user requests and implementing new features to the game, but we're planning to gather a roster that'll hopefully help us create new features for the game. We're always open to suggestions, so feel free to send me a message so we can discuss it together.

7. Regarding Moderators
I completely agree that mods should hold more responsibility, and rest assured that there'll be a stricter policy on moderator behavior.

However, I can't say the same for Head Mods owning a rank 5 DRAKE, or one moderator owning a rank 4 DRAKE.

Rank 4 is basically mod + /gif and /demote, and I don't see why a mod should have access to those commands.

A Head Mod's job is to keep a peaceful and positive environment within the staff team. This doesn't necessarily mean you have to implement new features to keep said environment. You can do your job well by helping resolve conflicts within the staff team when it arises. It may get boring, but that's the responsibility a Head Mod bears. Rank 5 is simply not needed in this case.

Can it be considered in the future? Maybe. But for now, it's simply not needed.

8. Regarding Database health and weapon damage
We are actually discussing a new default health for all users, because the current default health (7) has been outdated for far too long. The current idea is to make it so saber kills a regular person in 5-6 hits, rather than 2. Create weapons already do around the same damage as regular sabers, so that shouldn't really be an issue. I agree with the bot regulations, and it'll definitely be something to be discussed in the future.

I've taken several notes from your post, and I hope to implement some of these in future updates. A changelog will be released soon with new features added and intended for the game, so keep your eye out for that.

+1 by jay, SecurityGuy, randy, rouge and 6 others

Rookie
2,706 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
26th April 2021, 02:24 PM

Orbay wrote on 26th April 2021, 02:17 PM:
Thank you for taking the time to write this extensive post detailing what must be done to improve the game. I'll make some remarks about the key points in this post so people have an idea of what's going on behind the scenes:
I completely agree with this, but I feel I must clear something up. Damen is technically the "warden" of the game, but admins have the authority to do what is needed without the need to ask Damen, as long as it's not abuse or something of the sort. This applies for the cz managers as well. This means we'll be add more changes to the game at a more frequent basis.
At the moment, excluding bots, there are no create requests that are inherently game breaking. All create sabers more or less have the same damage value, so it won't affect the fair nature we're striving to achieve.
3. Regarding the Empire
The Empire being removed is official, and it has been replaced with an adminocracy (oligarchy of admins). Though I'm not involved in the cz process, I believe that this will allow cz to take place in other islands, rather than the usual "bad guys trying to take over the South" trope. This supports what I said in point 1, about admins having more authority to do as needed.
4. Regarding crimezone
I actually really like the idea of having an official time for cz, and I've relayed this message to the cz managers, who seem to have liked it as well. Updates regarding this will be announced in the future.
My and Rouge's dms on Discord are always open, so anyone can message us if needed. And regarding the Oldcp Discord server, the current Crime Office server currently serves the same function.
6. Regarding Presidency
Though I don't think Presidency will be happening anytime soon, I definitely agree that this game is lacking in certain regards. At the moment, admins are in charge of the user requests and implementing new features to the game, but we're planning to gather a roster that'll hopefully help us create new features for the game. We're always open to suggestions, so feel free to send me a message so we can discuss it together.
7. Regarding Moderators
I completely agree that mods should hold more responsibility, and rest assured that there'll be a stricter policy on moderator behavior.
However, I can't say the same for Head Mods owning a rank 5 DRAKE, or one moderator owning a rank 4 DRAKE.
Rank 4 is basically mod + /gif and /demote, and I don't see why a mod should have access to those commands.
A Head Mod's job is to keep a peaceful and positive environment within the staff team. This doesn't necessarily mean you have to implement new features to keep said environment. You can do your job well by helping resolve conflicts within the staff team when it arises. It may get boring, but that's the responsibility a Head Mod bears. Rank 5 is simply not needed in this case.
We are actually discussing a new default health for all users, because the current default health (7) has been outdated for far too long. The current idea is to make it so saber kills a regular person in 5-6 hits, rather than 2. Create weapons already do around the same damage as regular sabers, so that shouldn't really be an issue. I agree with the bot regulations, and it'll definitely be something to be discussed in the future.
I've taken several notes from your post, and I hope to implement some of these in future updates. A changelog will be released soon with new features added and intended for the game, so keep your eye out for that.
About the database health, so EVERYONE will have the same health or is that only when your account is first registered? Like will people still be buffed or everyone will just have that same health?

1,013 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
26th April 2021, 02:27 PM

Jonathan1tt1 wrote on 26th April 2021, 02:24 PM:
Quote:
At the moment, excluding bots, there are no create requests that are inherently game breaking. All create sabers more or less have the same damage value, so it won't affect the fair nature we're striving to achieve.
3. Regarding the Empire
4. Regarding crimezone
I actually really like the idea of having an official time for cz, and I've relayed this message to the cz managers, who seem to have liked it as well. Updates regarding this will be announced in the future.
6. Regarding Presidency
7. Regarding Moderators
About the database health, so EVERYONE will have the same health or is that only when your account is first registered? Like will people still be buffed or everyone will just have that same health?

All accounts, existing or newly registered, will be set to the same health, including the current OP people. I asked the cz manager like right now, and they said that users won't get additional health buffs from cz

Rookie
2,706 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
26th April 2021, 02:37 PM

Orbay wrote on 26th April 2021, 02:27 PM:
Quote:
Quote:
3. Regarding the Empire
4. Regarding crimezone
6. Regarding Presidency
7. Regarding Moderators
All accounts, existing or newly registered, will be set to the same health, including the current OP people. I asked the cz manager like right now, and they said that users won't get additional health buffs from cz
I agree with everyone having the same health, but 5-6 hits sounds extremely low. That's not really a fight and whoever strikes first has such an advantage since the other person can't make a comeback for themselves and defend. Also sounds like wars would end very quickly. I feel like 8-12 hits is better because fights will last longer without a huge chance of relogin.

+1 by Luminite

1,013 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
26th April 2021, 02:41 PM

Jonathan1tt1 wrote on 26th April 2021, 02:37 PM:
Quote:
Orbay wrote on 26th April 2021, 02:27 PM:
Quote:
Quote:
3. Regarding the Empire
4. Regarding crimezone
6. Regarding Presidency
7. Regarding Moderators
I agree with everyone having the same health, but 5-6 hits sounds extremely low. That's not really a fight and whoever strikes first has such an advantage since the other person can't make a comeback for themselves and defend. Also sounds like wars would end very quickly. I feel like 8-12 hits is better because fights will last longer without a huge chance of relogin.

That sounds like a more reasonable amount. I'll pass it along to the other admins. Thank you for your suggestion

+1 by jay and Luminite

Alatar
1,164 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
26th April 2021, 02:46 PM

My only other say in this is to have admins be in control of the game, but NOT the south. Being a ruler of land should not give any sort of moderation position.

+1 by Luminite and Miromeski

Rookie
2,706 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
26th April 2021, 02:57 PM

Alatar wrote on 26th April 2021, 02:46 PM:
My only other say in this is to have admins be in control of the game, but NOT the south. Being a ruler of land should not give any sort of moderation position.
Honestly I feel like South should be a chill area since it has the old Club Penguin areas where regular users have visit and experience once again without having to deal with any fighting. A game of which side can take over the most islands sounds better than a constant South war going on.

+1 by Luminite

Off the deep end
Master
515 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
26th April 2021, 08:33 PM

Damen had tried to regulate OldCP way too much with this merger by not having a Warden, with his attention elsewhere OldCP will die and I completely agree with your first point to the point that I skipped down here and didn't read the full thing.. (Sorry I don't have much interest in OldCP)

However my 2 cents are that Warden of iOldCP should be appointed as the Warden of V16 and rather than Damen hardcore overseeing everything, should provide guidelines for the Warden to follow and allow them to continue the work that they were planning to do on iOldCP.

+1 by jay, Pic, SecurityGuy, Loki and 2 others
On strike

Infinite Staircase
Suspended
51 posts
Seen 30th August 2023
27th April 2021, 11:51 AM

I agree with everything, also, the cz should just not ignore everyone because, when cz gets online i keep trying to talk to them when they are alone or something like that and i just get ignored. Its annoying and thats the cause of the db health problem, some people are "cz favorites" and can get as much hp they can.

+1 by SecurityGuy, Loki and jay, -1 by kace

Master
444 posts
Seen 30th August 2023
28th April 2021, 01:15 AM

Honestly, I agree with the part about giving Head Moderator more responsibility. When I had it around the first time Swirlie had left and a few others were first stepping into the position, it was very difficult to get anything accross because of the fact that 1. it was a time where nobody saw anyone else as the Head Moderator before and 2. the rank wasn't looked at as one with great trust and it was as you said just a title. It was also very easy to establish everything like you mentioned because of the fact that most of the staff were experienced and already knew what they were doing.

Looking back, I feel like a lot of the Head Moderators who had the opportunity to become Administrator struggled with the role because they didn't have the proper training needed to perform all of the tasks and because they felt like they were being a burden to the current administration because they would have to constantly ask questions. I like your idea of having the Head Moderator take notes during their time as Head Moderator because I feel like that would elimate the constant questioning stage.

+1 by jay, SecurityGuy and Luminite

Login or join the forums to reply.