DSGHQ Mod Training Part 1

Made by Damen in Announcements

Veteran
Master
5,478 posts
Seen 29th August 2023
1st August 2021, 05:38 AM

Ah, I have read all of this…

Personally, I have been moderating this community since 2013. And I can honestly say I have changed quite a lot since my first year of being within the DSGHQ staff.

I have also seen so many things change, for example, the “restorative approach” was never even thought of for quite sometime in the earlier years… I feel like each staff member is different from the next, and that’s what makes our staff team unique & awesome.

Honestly I feel like I have upheld most of these capabilities for a long time. I have always prided myself in having a moderating style that differed from other staff. I value the power of communication, and genuinely taking the time to fully understand all sides to any situation or scenario regardless of how big or small it is.

I would always summon people to my igloo before using commands, and honestly, often enough the issue would get resolved without the need for punishment. It all depends on how you go about moderating, and as staff, we can’t forget that we’re also capable of being in the same placement as someone whose undergoing punishment. I’m always eager to learn new things though, and I believe through the years I’ve been lucky enough to uphold that to be true.

Another useful thing that I personally touch base on is remembering my past. I have been in the same position as users who are in the process of being banned. I have been there myself. I still remember getting IP-Banned on the DSGHQ. I feel like by experiencing these instances, it has allowed me to reach a level of empathy not every staff member has, it’s allowed me to continue to be unbiased and to maintain my position on this staff team for all these years.

Awesome discussion, and I’m glad we touched base again on such a useful tool/approach. ?

+1 by Loki, Damen and
Hi, I'm Scott.
[DSGHQ Veteran || Senior Captain || Master]

Questions, comments, concerns? Don't hesitate to message me.

¿
30 posts
Seen 9th August 2023
1st August 2021, 11:29 AM

I just read it, Idk what is going well for me but I feel that I need to practice all this, even more be patient in the time it takes to solve a problem.

+1 by Damen

Daymen
Administrator
5,165 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
1st August 2021, 03:25 PM

sarabareille wrote on 1st August 2021, 05:38 AM:
Ah, I have read all of this…
Personally, I have been moderating this community since 2013. And I can honestly say I have changed quite a lot since my first year of being within the DSGHQ staff.
I have also seen so many things change, for example, the “restorative approach” was never even thought of for quite sometime in the earlier years… I feel like each staff member is different from the next, and that’s what makes our staff team unique & awesome.
Honestly I feel like I have upheld most of these capabilities for a long time. I have always prided myself in having a moderating style that differed from other staff. I value the power of communication, and genuinely taking the time to fully understand all sides to any situation or scenario regardless of how big or small it is.
I would always summon people to my igloo before using commands, and honestly, often enough the issue would get resolved without the need for punishment. It all depends on how you go about moderating, and as staff, we can’t forget that we’re also capable of being in the same placement as someone whose undergoing punishment. I’m always eager to learn new things though, and I believe through the years I’ve been lucky enough to uphold that to be true.
Another useful thing that I personally touch base on is remember my past. I have been in the same position as users who are in the process of being banned. I have been there myself. I still remember getting IP-Banned on the DSGHQ. I feel like by experiencing these instances, it has allowed me to reach a level of empathy not every staff member has, it’s allowed me to continue to be unbiased and to maintain my position on this staff team for all these years.
Awesome discussion, and I’m glad we touched base again on such a useful tool/approach. ?

Your experience of using restorative-like approaches in the past make you a great role model for the mods.

Sebastian1234567 wrote on 1st August 2021, 11:29 AM:
I just read it, Idk what is going well for me but I feel that I need to practice all this, even more be patient in the time it takes to solve a problem.

Patience is not easy, therefore work hard at it, and like anything worth having- it pays off. How? You will be respected a lot more, make smarter choices and be a mature role model.

+1 by Scott

Login or join the forums to reply.