14th April 2022

The Silmarillion

Made by Loki in Entertainment

Queen of Vultures
Administrator
1,641 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
14th April 2022, 12:45 PM

I've been reading The Silmarillion and I'm a little over half way through it. I'm to the story of Turin Tarumbar, which I've read before as the full length book. This book has taken me so long to read. Not because its boring or hard to read but because I love it so much that I want to savor it. I'm actually sad that I'm over half way done reading it.

Here are some of my thoughts on the book so far. There's spoilers.

Feanor is a total jerk and I hate him. In my opinion hes more of a villain than Melkor and Sauron. The things he did are just so disgusting and all over three little gems. Like dude, get over yourself. He started a whole kinslaying of the Teleri over the ships they built. These ships were the best work of the Teleri. And after he got these ships, he literally left a group of elves behind in some cold ice waters because he was scared they were going to betray him and he hoped they would just die there. Oh and then he burned the Teleri's ships. Ok buddy, murder a group of people for their prized possessions, use it once, and then burn it and leave people who were still willing to follow you behind. GREAT. Man deserved it when he got killed.

The Tale of Beren and Luthien is so interesting, I think I'm going to have to find the actual book so I can read the full story. Though, I'm not really sure what Luthien saw in Beren that was so great that she gave up her immortality for him. I guess it must just run in her family though, Thingol literally spent years locked in a staring contest with Melian and missed the boat to Valinor.

Eol is a total creep. Man only got a wife because he enchanted his forest so that she would be totally lost and eventually end up at his front door. Then when she finally leaves with their son he's all surprised and angry about it and tracks them down to Gondolin where he gets captured and then tries to murder his son but kills his wife instead. Makes me think of someone but I'm not gonna name names.

It was so sad when Aule thought he had to destroy his race of dwarves for Eru. Eru was merciful though and gave them free will and kept Aule from destroying them. It was funny though when Aule's wife Yavanna was upset at him because she knew the dwarves would cut down trees and destroy things she had created in nature. She asked for Eru to create some race that would protect her work from all getting destroyed and then kind of gloated about it to Aule and he was like "well, the dwarves will still need wood." And then he kept on working because he was so unconcerned.

So yeah, those are some of my thoughts so far. I love this book.

+1 by zenny, Varai, Foxel, Tasha and 1 other

hi
647 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
14th April 2022, 02:36 PM

The Silmarillion is one of my favorite books, when I got it I accidentally bought two copies, one I gave to my latin teacher.

+1 by Flynn

Living life in Survival
News Reporter
263 posts
Seen 30th August 2023
15th April 2022, 03:29 PM

good summary of what you have read so far its also one of my favorites books and it has great content for creation; Now about feanor in my opinion Feanor; Incredible Crafsmen and person of magic words one of the worst enemys of Morgoth and One of his tools for corruption, but lets remember that his Oath and actions Good ones and Bad ones started the events of all middle earth and first age and he made amazing things like the 3 Gems the Palantiri Swords and much more things corrupted by Morgoth itself and his ideas but he figured and somehow tried to battle him in his way Stupid actions yes actions that we can doubt about yes just like many characters like Morgoth who made a lot damage than him and more worst things just to say as an example, without him everything would be so different and Morgoth would have corrupted someone else and probably that person would have been easier to corrupt and would not have put up as much resistance and courage in battle it is like he would walk away instead of hunt him, Without him we would not have had the revival of the two trees of Valinor as Tolkien left some things to speculate for the Final Battle Dagor Dagorath many things could have changed However he was a tool of corruption a tool to create more evil as one tool of most incredible things we could ever see in Tolkien letters I think it is a great collaboration to the Silmarilion and such an important character, epic character someone who you can admire from a book and no for all the things but for many mighty character and one of my favorites.

Quote:
Tolkien characters are not bad or good; they are simply in other proportions that we do not see so clearly

Login or join the forums to reply.