20th January 2023

Proposal regarding Room Locking

Made by Wheeler in Penguin3D

269 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
20th January 2023, 12:36 AM

Hi

I propose a change to the Room Lock system.
A lot of public rooms are being left inaccessible by people locking them for personal purposes and refusing/forgetting to unlock them.
In many cases, the /POPULAR room is being hidden behind the locking feature. It hinders the game experience. A lot of people (incl. me) have shared criticism on the system.
In relation to Crimezone, it doesn't seem that room locking is used much. The rooms used by Crimezone where sensitive information is shared are usually not publicly accessible anyways.

CHANGES I AM PROPOSING:
Public rooms may only be locked for a period of TEN MINUTES per 1 HOUR.
The room is unlocked once the individual who locked it disconnects from the game. The limit still applies in this case.
Your own personal igloo can be locked indefinitely. However, administrators may force entry at will, and moderators may force entry after 30 minutes.
An individual may only lock one room at a time (excluding their own igloo).

NOTES:
The fifteen minute limit is PER ROOM, not per account. If someone else has locked the room in the past hour, you must wait.
Igloos, like public facing rooms, are unlocked once the individual who locked it has disconnected.
Only the owner of the igloo may lock igloos.
An individual can only lock one room per two hours.

I HAVE NOT CHANGED ANYTHING YET. I want to see if anyone else has better ideas, or if the majority of players believe the change should be scrapped altogether.

+1 by Loki, Ronaldo, Damen, Mirrikh and 3 others, -1 by Luminite and kace
Adam

STAZHAND
News Reporter
68 posts
Seen 27th August 2023
20th January 2023, 12:48 AM

agree

+1 by Wheeler and Mirrikh, -1 by Lex

Daymen
Administrator
5,165 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
20th January 2023, 03:58 AM

I don't ever remember letting people lock rooms at will, please stop doing this unless its for an event

+1 by Loki, Gamer, Mirrikh and Wheeler

STAZHAND
News Reporter
68 posts
Seen 27th August 2023
20th January 2023, 04:33 AM

Damen wrote on 20th January 2023, 03:58 AM:
I don't ever remember letting people lock rooms at will, please stop doing this unless its for an event
well turq does it all the time

+1 by Mirrikh and Wheeler, -1 by kace

Donec mors nos separaveri
1,013 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
20th January 2023, 05:17 AM

Better proposal: Remove Turq's ability to lock rooms. He's literally the only one who does it

+1 by Mirrikh and Gamer, -1 by kace

Banned
76 posts
Seen 18th March 2023
20th January 2023, 06:15 AM

Wheeler wrote on 20th January 2023, 12:36 AM:
Hi
I propose a change to the Room Lock system.
A lot of public rooms are being left inaccessible by people locking them for personal purposes and refusing/forgetting to unlock them.
In many cases, the /POPULAR room is being hidden behind the locking feature. It hinders the game experience. A lot of people (incl. me) have shared criticism on the system.
In relation to Crimezone, it doesn't seem that room locking is used much. The rooms used by Crimezone where sensitive information is shared are usually not publicly accessible anyways.
CHANGES I AM PROPOSING:
Public rooms may only be locked for a period of TEN MINUTES per 1 HOUR.
The room is unlocked once the individual who locked it disconnects from the game. The limit still applies in this case.
Your own personal igloo can be locked indefinitely. However, administrators may force entry at will, and moderators may force entry after 30 minutes.
An individual may only lock one room at a time (excluding their own igloo).
NOTES:
The fifteen minute limit is PER ROOM, not per account. If someone else has locked the room in the past hour, you must wait.
Igloos, like public facing rooms, are unlocked once the individual who locked it has disconnected.
Only the owner of the igloo may lock igloos.
An individual can only lock one room per two hours.
I HAVE NOT CHANGED ANYTHING YET. I want to see if anyone else has better ideas, or if the majority of players believe the change should be scrapped altogether.

STILL A MAN OF THE PEOPLE. YOU HAVE MY VOTE FOR LEADING MAN WHENEVER THOSE VOTE ELECTIONS TAKE PLACE.

Quran Surah An-Nahl, (The Bee)16:96:
Quote:
What is with you must vanish and what is with Allah will remain forever. And those who have shown patience, We will certainly reward the best of what they have done.

Off the deep end
Master
515 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
20th January 2023, 09:17 AM

Rooms in question that are being locked are

ArdaTemple
NargCave

and as far as I can tell igloos.

ArdaTemple was made by Turq which gives him degree of rights to it

NargCave is canonically a room of Shadow which gives me rights to it

People have been giving out the keys to that room which make it hard to hold meetings in the cave without them trying to get nosy and barge in from time to time. That is why that room has been locked. I agree with this proposal but its enforcement will be flawed. Its only security measure is being overlooked by admins who are giving out keys without my knowing.

That being said, besides these instances we actually haven't had a problem with people using the lockroom command. So I don't think these changes are necessary, but if the time arises where there is abuse over the command then yes it should definitely be considered. (But I 100% agree on the popular room idea it should never be locked)

+1 by turquito10 and kace
On strike

269 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
20th January 2023, 01:03 PM

flameknight333 wrote on 20th January 2023, 09:17 AM:
ArdaTemple
NargCave
People have been giving out the keys to that room which make it hard to hold meetings in the cave without them trying to get nosy and barge in from time to time. That is why that room has been locked. I agree with this proposal but its enforcement will be flawed. Its only security measure is being overlooked by admins who are giving out keys without my knowing.
That being said, besides these instances we actually haven't had a problem with people using the lockroom command. So I don't think these changes are necessary, but if the time arises where there is abuse over the command then yes it should definitely be considered. (But I 100% agree on the popular room idea it should never be locked)

Now you can hold meetings at igloo

Adam

Off the deep end
Master
515 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
20th January 2023, 02:30 PM

Wheeler wrote on 20th January 2023, 01:03 PM:
Quote:
ArdaTemple
NargCave

Yeah but in the spirit of crimezone, do you want to be in an igloo having a discussion about world domination? I sure as hell think it would be clownish. An evil meeting in NargCave is much more appropriate with the atmosphere of the room.

On strike

269 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
20th January 2023, 03:01 PM

flameknight333 wrote on 20th January 2023, 02:30 PM:
Quote:
Quote:
ArdaTemple
NargCave
Yeah but in the spirit of crimezone, do you want to be in an igloo having a discussion about world domination? I sure as hell think it would be clownish. An evil meeting in NargCave is much more appropriate with the atmosphere of the room.

Restricting crimezone to only 1-2 people is not in the spirit of crimezone either.

+1 by Loki
Adam

Off the deep end
Master
515 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
20th January 2023, 03:23 PM

Wheeler wrote on 20th January 2023, 03:01 PM:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ArdaTemple
NargCave
Restricting crimezone to only 1-2 people is not in the spirit of crimezone either.

Thats what a secret meeting is

On strike

269 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
20th January 2023, 03:24 PM

flameknight333 wrote on 20th January 2023, 03:23 PM:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ArdaTemple
NargCave

You can still have secret meetings - that is why there is a ten minute period.

Adam

Off the deep end
Master
515 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
20th January 2023, 03:25 PM

Wheeler wrote on 20th January 2023, 03:24 PM:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ArdaTemple
NargCave

10 minutes may not be enough, especially with some characters

On strike

269 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
20th January 2023, 03:28 PM

flameknight333 wrote on 20th January 2023, 03:25 PM:
Quote:
Wheeler wrote on 20th January 2023, 03:24 PM:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ArdaTemple
NargCave
10 minutes may not be enough, especially with some characters

Then go to a place where regular players cannot access if the meeting will take longer than 10 minutes.
But I don't see how a meeting could take longer than 10 minutes... surely after 10 minutes it becomes a slumber party.

Adam

178 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
20th January 2023, 04:45 PM

+1 by Wheeler and Mirrikh

Login or join the forums to reply.