27th May 2020

Dont be a Son of a Witch

Made by Jdutr in Wisdom

122 posts
Seen 19th August 2023
27th May 2020, 02:56 PM

Ok, everyone seems to be going crazy again over something that would have been small if the situation was handled better. From my point of view this can all be resolved if everyone looks at things from each other’s point of view. I want to raise a couple of unbiased points that hopefully everyone will be able to agree with.

1) Damen wants witches gone and you should respect that

What is a witch?

noun

a woman thought to have magic powers, especially evil ones, popularly depicted as wearing a black cloak and pointed hat and flying on a broomstick.

Now, I appreciate that the majority of people do not believe in magic or witchcraft to be either real or even “evil”. Nobody is really trying to convince you that it is either. That being said, we all have different beliefs and faiths which ultimately form part of our identity as people.

As Damen is a Jehovah’s Witness, you might be able to understand his point of view more clearly by reading about magic and witchcraft on the official JW website here: https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/gods-friend/magic-witchcraft/

Now, I obviously can’t comment on to what extent someone follows a teaching as that also differs from person to person even within the same religion. That being said, you can surely see why this would cause Damen an internal conflict as ultimately he is the person responsible for the game.

Users demanding that witch craft and magic should take place in the game despite this is somewhat disrespectful in my opinion. If the game was ran by a Muslim then you wouldn’t expect him to allow a Mosque bombing gang to run riot or have to Mohammed drawing contests during the next game night.

2) Damen probably should have explained his reasoning better and provided an alternative from the start

With the previous in mind, I don’t think anyone would have been against witches being removed if the reasoning was explained beforehand in more detail and they were allowed to switch to an alternative from the start.

I sympathise with Melian etc as I get that it would feel pretty harsh to have everything taken away at the drop of a hat and be made to feel like the bad guy all of a sudden. In the eyes of the “witches”, I guess that we have to also be sensitive to the fact that they don’t share the belief that witches are evil and therefore to punish someone out of the blue based on your own faith (without attempting to offer a solution that keeps both sides happy), was obviously going to anger people.

I know that the offer to become “Vulture Shamans” has now been made which is great and hopefully people will accept this.

3) The level of respect here has been appalling lately

I don’t have anything against people respectfully giving their criticisms, but borderline insulting Damen for his beliefs by calling it “lunacy” is offensive and calling the game and community terrible off the back of one decision is completely ungrateful.

There is clearly a lot of work that goes into the various projects that we’ve been gifted access to over the years and not once has anything been asked for in return.

Even some members of the staff team that have built up a clique-like following because of their position in the community seem to think that because they have influence means that they are able to speak in a way which mocks the owner.

If you’re reading this thinking “Jdutr is such a kiss ass” because I seem to defend DSGHQ a lot, then I don’t mind. I never beg to anyone for anything and I don’t ever do so with the intention of getting something in return. I appreciate that if anything, we receive more than what we deserve given the attitude of so many people in the community.

4) Conclusion

Damen does need to work on not rushing his communication in order to spare people’s feelings which I’m sure he admits.

We as users need to focus on communicating our angers and in a way that is respectful and appreciative of everyone.

Surely it can’t be that hard.

Some Christian and Witch wisdom to finish:

Jesus: “Do unto others what you would have them do to you”.

Dumbledore: “You can never have enough socks, Harry”.

TLDR; Don’t be a Son of a W*tch

+1 by , Finnawoke, Mink, CPBiter and 10 others, -1 by Melian , Horse, Yeet, Nate and 3 others

Jk...Unless?
158 posts
Seen 23rd July 2023
27th May 2020, 03:00 PM

Liked because of title name

+1 by Melian and Jdutr

CEO of Lorefiix
Master
2,037 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
27th May 2020, 03:04 PM

Why dumbledore be lookin at my socks doe?

+1 by Melian , Jdutr and Julianhak

Quote:
Lol and fart

A Bird
Banned
209 posts
Seen 14th December 2020
27th May 2020, 03:04 PM

Jdutr wrote on 27th May 2020, 02:56 PM:
Ok, everyone seems to be going crazy again over something that would have been small if the situation was handled better. From my point of view this can all be resolved if everyone looks at things from each other’s point of view. I want to raise a couple of unbiased points that hopefully everyone will be able to agree with.
What is a witch?
noun
a woman thought to have magic powers, especially evil ones, popularly depicted as wearing a black cloak and pointed hat and flying on a broomstick.
Now, I appreciate that the majority of people do not believe in magic or witchcraft to be either real or even “evil”. Nobody is really trying to convince you that it is either. That being said, we all have different beliefs and faiths which ultimately form part of our identity as people.
As Damen is a Jehovah’s Witness, you might be able to understand his point of view more clearly by reading about magic and witchcraft on the official JW website here: https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/gods-friend/magic-witchcraft/
Now, I obviously can’t comment on to what extent someone follows a teaching as that also differs from person to person even within the same religion. That being said, you can surely see why this would cause Damen an internal conflict as ultimately he is the person responsible for the game.
Users demanding that witch craft and magic should take place in the game despite this is somewhat disrespectful in my opinion. If the game was ran by a Muslim then you wouldn’t expect him to allow a Mosque bombing gang to run riot or have to Mohammed drawing contests during the next game night.
2) Damen probably should have explained his reasoning better and provided an alternative from the start
With the previous in mind, I don’t think anyone would have been against witches being removed if the reasoning was explained beforehand in more detail and they were allowed to switch to an alternative from the start.
I sympathise with Melian etc as I get that it would feel pretty harsh to have everything taken away at the drop of a hat and be made to feel like the bad guy all of a sudden. In the eyes of the “witches”, I guess that we have to also be sensitive to the fact that they don’t share the belief that witches are evil and therefore to punish someone out of the blue based on your own faith (without attempting to offer a solution that keeps both sides happy), was obviously going to anger people.
I know that the offer to become “Vulture Shamans” has now been made which is great and hopefully people will accept this.
3) The level of respect has been appalling lately
I don’t have anything against people respectfully giving their criticisms, but borderline insulting Damen for his beliefs by calling it “lunacy” is offensive and calling the game and community terrible off the back of one decision is completely ungrateful.
There is clearly a lot of work that goes into the various projects that we’ve been gifted access to over the years and not once has anything been asked for in return.
Even some members of the staff team that have built up a clique-like following because of their position in the community seem to think that because they have influence means that they are able to speak in a way which mocks the owner.
If you’re reading this thinking “Jdutr is such a kiss ass” because I seem to defend DSGHQ a lot, then I don’t mind. I never beg to anyone for anything and I don’t ever do so with the intention of getting something in return. I appreciate that if anything, we receive more than what we deserve given the attitude of so many people in the community.
3) Conclusion
Damen does need to work on not rushing his communication in order to spare people’s feelings which I’m sure he admits.
We as users need to focus on communicating our angers and in a way that is respectful and appreciative of everyone.

I'm ignoring this for.. Obvious reasons Jdutr. I don't think we're going around worshipping the Devil at all, or saying his religion is a lie or anything like that. So we don't match the definition of a Witch. Names are names, actions are actions. <3

+1 by Horse and Dice, -1 by Jdutr
Courtesy of the amazing Vexillologist Mike

News Reporter
4,301 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
27th May 2020, 03:06 PM

this has been resolved already, stop adding to the drama

+1 by Melian , -1 by soap163

Jk...Unless?
158 posts
Seen 23rd July 2023
27th May 2020, 03:07 PM

But in all serious I had a feeling it was a personal reason why he didn't want to implement witches was because of his own beliefs. Just like you said, I wish communication was better too.

+1 by Jdutr

122 posts
Seen 19th August 2023
27th May 2020, 03:08 PM

Galadriel wrote on 27th May 2020, 03:04 PM:
Quote:
Jdutr wrote on 27th May 2020, 02:56 PM:
What is a witch?
noun
3) The level of respect has been appalling lately
3) Conclusion
I'm ignoring this for.. Obvious reasons Jdutr. I don't think we're going around worshipping the Devil at all, or saying his religion is a lie or anything like that. So we don't match the definition of a Witch. Names are names, actions are actions.

I’m not saying you were devil worshipping etc. If you read the post you’ll see the point about any magic or reference to being a witch being a conflict with the JW religion. That’s why a change has been offered and why I agreed with it. At no point did I say it was you being unreasonable either but plenty of people have been.

+1 by Finnawoke, kace and valentina, -1 by Melian

IKEA Swedish Meatballs
Master
492 posts
Seen 5th October 2020
27th May 2020, 03:10 PM

I did not call Damen's beliefs lunacy, I called the response as a whole lunacy. I say what I see and make no attempt to hide it, for better or worse. I am that way no matter who it's in reference to or who I am friends with. If you don't like my bluntness, then so be it, but it's not going to change.

Also nice strawman about religion and comparing witches to terrorists. No one was demanding that anything be added, just trying to find a solution to the problem, and getting clarification for why.

+1 by Melian , Joseph, Dice and candy

Login or join the forums to reply.