30th June 2020

Disagreements

Made by Loki in Wisdom

Queen of Vultures
Administrator
1,641 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
30th June 2020, 03:57 PM

As we all know, a lot of toxic behaviour happens in this community. Most of it is really unnecessary. Today though, I'd like to bring up one specific aspect of it.

Anytime something happens in this community that people disagree with, they rip into people and just tear them down. This happens most often with trails. People are never happy with the result whether the person is executed or not. If they're executed people say "there is no justice, this trial was stupid and unfair". And then if someone gets off its "the trial was unfair!". Yeah, sometimes the verdict should have been different. But just because you disagree with it doesn't give you the right to lay into the judge or anyone else who had a say in the verdict. Sled does most of the trials so she gets the worst of this. This isn't saying you can't complain a little about it. But to just go off and make people feel bad and hurt is not the way to do it. Mistakes happen and all this is is a penguin game. Its not like a criminal got set free irl.

And this happens with other things to. Someone does something that a lot of people disagree with and suddenly that person is seen as being an awful person and deserves to be demoted or banned or whatever. If someone makes a mistake or is just doing something the wrong way, it should be pointed out but it should not be done so in a dramatic community uproar that hurts people. It should be done constructively.

For example, when Damen said to kill all the witches. Most of the community disagreed with what he said there because he was so harsh about how he wanted it to be handled. People really went off about it and it didn't really allow much for a civilized discussion about it. People weren't willing to understand the viewpoint of the other side because the discussions that were being made did not allow for that as they were all accusatory in their basis. It ended when Damen said that he should have handled it better, but honestly, both sides should have tried to handle it better than what they did. If the discussions were more facilitating of actual discussion about it, it wouldn't have become the dramatic display that we saw.

They say "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar". So if someone makes a mistake and you want to confront them about it, do it in a kind way rather than a harsh or accusatory one. You're much more likely to see positive results.

And no, this is not to start anything up again that previously happened. This is for future events where people are going to have things that they disagree with.

+1 by Sled, Varai, Flame, Brit and 7 others

Off the deep end
Master
515 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
30th June 2020, 04:05 PM

Restorative Approach

+1 by Brit, Loki, Julianhak, SecurityGuy and 2 others
On strike

Queen of Vultures
Administrator
1,641 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
30th June 2020, 04:18 PM

flameknight333 wrote on 30th June 2020, 04:05 PM:
Restorative Approach

How dare you sum this up in two words?

+1 by EbonJaeger, Flame, Dice, kat and 1 other

IKEA Swedish Meatballs
Master
492 posts
Seen 5th October 2020
30th June 2020, 04:20 PM

This is something I have recognized myself doing, and is something I am actively working on improving about myself. We sometimes let emotion get the better of clear and rational thought, and it ends in this. Very well said, Loki.

+1 by Loki and kat

Banned
2,542 posts
Seen 30th August 2023
30th June 2020, 04:26 PM

+1 by eugee

Still Mink
1,163 posts
Seen 15th August 2023
30th June 2020, 04:31 PM

I agree that people shouldn’t criticize so heavily as to hurt the person they are criticizing. However, I do not witness so much of this behavior on the forums (not to say it isn’t real), and I doubt a lot of the people who have criticized Sled on here genuinely hate her as a person.

Another thing I’d like to add is that people are allowed to be understandably concerned with how a trial is handled for many different reasons. They have reason to believe someone innocent/guilty was harshly punished or loosely pardoned for legitimate reasons. The Criminal Code is meant to make sure the trials are fair for everyone.

As far as the Witch drama, I again must have not seen what you saw, as many people I saw disagreed/agreed in a very appropriate manner.

Again, while I do agree people should disagree in more appropriate ways than acting out, insulting, etc. I just don’t witness that in a lot of drama on this forum, but we see through different lenses I suppose.

USA
394 posts
Seen 21st February 2022
30th June 2020, 04:42 PM

Maybe instead of those people crying about a trial where someones PENGUIN dies, MAYBE just MAYBE they could worry about the real problem which is the racism,homophobia, and intolerance on this site, I dunno to me that seems way more important than a virtual penguin dying. Change your priorities people.

+1 by Mink, Loki, spoke, Chis and 3 others
spoke,val,sid,candy

cute
Master
719 posts
Seen 23rd February 2023
1st July 2020, 12:51 AM

Jibreel1024 wrote on 30th June 2020, 04:42 PM:
Maybe instead of those people crying about a trial where someones PENGUIN dies, MAYBE just MAYBE they could worry about the real problem which is the racism,homophobia, and intolerance on this site, I dunno to me that seems way more important than a virtual penguin dying. Change your priorities people.
periodt.

+1 by Alea

Login or join the forums to reply.