28th December 2020

Winter Wisdom

Made by Loki in Wisdom

Queen of Vultures
Administrator
1,641 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
28th December 2020, 12:48 AM

Here is some winter wisdom for you all this cold winter season.

Winter is a time when many people experience a seasonal depression due to the cold, snow, and short days. Just because snow is on the ground doesn't mean winter has to be a time of suffering. There are ways to defeat the winter season, and maybe you will even start to enjoy winter!

One way to enjoy winter is to shift your mindset on it. A study was done by a PhD student at Stanford University that explored why people in the northern part of Norway (an area where the sun doesn't come above the horizon in part of the winter) do not tend to have seasonal depression. The study found that the people in that area tended to not focus on the cold cruel aspects of winter. Rather the residents just enjoyed doing the things that they can only do in the winter. Like how you can thoroughly enjoy a good cup of hot chocolate on a cold winter day, snuggling up under a warm blanket, and by doing winter activities out in the cold and the snow.

Honestly, one of the funnest ways to defeat winter is by enjoying doing the things you can only do during the winter. Like building a snowman, having a snowball fight, going sledding. Or enjoying winter sports like ice skating, skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc. You cannot do these during other times of the year. Enjoy them now, even if they do seem a bit childish!

Also, take in the beauty of the season. Look at the sunsets and sunrises. They can be so exquisite during the winter since the colors often appear to be sharper during the season. Look at the stars at night. Since the air tends to be drier in the winter, the stars can be seen much clearer than during other times of the year, which can make the night sky appear to be so much more beautiful. It can be simply breathtaking.

If there is snow on the ground, take in the beauty of it, especially if it is a fresh untouched snow. If there are drifts, you can imagine that you're in a desert filled with white sand.

Another thing to keep in mind during winter is keep socializing with people. Keep talking to people, but don't focus on the cold or the snow. This year socialization is a bit harder to do, but don't let the extra barriers keep you from staying in contact with your friends or family. There are safe ways to continue to socialize with people.

Also, dress for the season. Staying warm can help most of all.

This is post is not to try to be a cure for seasonal depression or to try to detract from anyone's experiences with it. If you are experiencing seasonal depression and you feel you are in need of help, please consider seeing a professional.

+1 by Miromeski, SecurityGuy, Scott, Narcissa and 9 others

hi
647 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
28th December 2020, 01:04 AM

Sad im not in this post

Emperor of OldCP
Master
1,122 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
28th December 2020, 01:18 AM

Very good wisdom Loki

Veteran
Master
5,478 posts
Seen 29th August 2023
28th December 2020, 01:52 AM

Thank you for making this discussion, very insightful. I'm glad you touched base on seasonal depression, it is very real. <3

Hi, I'm Scott.
[DSGHQ Veteran || Senior Captain || Master]

Questions, comments, concerns? Don't hesitate to message me.

Daymen
Administrator
5,165 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
28th December 2020, 07:05 AM

I enjoy winter now because I like to use the indoor bike, shoot hoops outside (which u can do all year round), have an excuse to not be out riding and work on p3d etc

+1 by Tommo and Sled

Banned
1,817 posts
Seen 3rd January 2021
28th December 2020, 10:07 AM

Here is some wisdom...

IDC

+1 by rami and Jacobg627

oh.
740 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
28th December 2020, 04:02 PM

this was a great post, loki. i love winter, its one of my favorite seasons second to spring.

You'll never silence my voice, no, I won't go.

Izuno - Mal31 - SecurityGuy - Jenna

Banned
882 posts
Seen 10th April 2021
28th December 2020, 05:16 PM

Perhaps. But always remember the ultimate piece of wisdom...

"CPBITER"

Login or join the forums to reply.