10th February 2021

Community Critiques

Made by fox in Feedback

<3
Master
1,652 posts
Seen 30th July 2022
10th February 2021, 10:32 PM

hey ya'll it's fox, i've been on the last couple of days and seen a lot of stuff on what's going on, and i feel like this can be the era where we can fix long term problems with the dsghq. this all should be insight on how to improve the community realistically. of course i'm not gonna force anybody to take my advice but it's gonna be here whether i'm active on this site or not

so thanks for reading

Recent Pedophilia Allegations

This was a problem long before it was addressed now in 2021. A situation like this is not to be ignored, and for the staff and community as a whole to brush it off and forgive it is inappropriate and it genuinely makes the community look uneducated. Relationships between adults and minors should not be acceptable in any kind of way because of it's affect on the victim.

Now, rebuttals to this could be:

1. The pedophilic relationship was not intentional.
- But in reality, actions like this can be unintentional or intentional. If it's clear it was unintentional, that is not an excuse for it to be forgiven. There needs to be some kind of punishment in play here. Think psychology here- if there's not a negative consequence to the perpetrators negative action, it can make them prone to doing the same thing again. If there's not formal punishment for taking action in this behavior, it could happen again. It can teach the community that what happened is okay and will not go punished. Do you want you community to think pedophilia is okay? No. That's a quick way to getting your whole community to turn against you.

2. The e-dating ban will prevent these relationships to happen again.
Because of our modern society, platforms like Discord, Instagram, Snapchat, and other social medias will be the source of these relationships then. Just because a ban of e-dating has been placed, it will not stop inappropriate relationships within the community. Simply put it, that rule will be broken because the two engaging in the relationship will just have contact over social media. There is no way to prevent anyone from dating each other.

With all of the above being stated, it should be clear that adult-minor relationships are horrible for this community and it has been a problem for a very long time now. An issue like this needs realistic action taken upon it.

My recommendation being:
- Give formal punishment to anyone who partook in those kind of relationships. It doesn't matter if it was in the past or not. You do not want the risk of a predator being on your platform, especially when this game is filled with minors and a mainly adult staff.
- Listen to the members of the community more. If you close out the feedback that this community clearly needs so badly, it will have no room to grow. There is still a chcance for the DSGHQ to grow as a whole, but only if everyone has a voice.

Along with all of this, I want to point out what pedophilia and grooming can do to a child over time- regarding to mental health.
Sources taken from the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children.

"Grooming can have both short and long-term effects. The impact of grooming can last a lifetime, no matter whether it happened in person, online or both. A child or young person might have difficulty sleeping, be anxious or struggle to concentrate or cope with school work. They may become withdrawn, uncommunicative and angry or upset."

This includes: Anxiety & Depression, PTSD, self harm, feelings of shame and guilt, relationship/trust issues, eating disorders, difficulty coping with stress, suicidal thoughts, and drug and alcohol addiction.

"Any child is at risk of being groomed. And it's important to remember that both boys and girls can be groomed. Children who are groomed online could be abused by someone they know. They could also be abused by someone who commits a one-off act or a stranger who builds a relationship with them."

Of course, some cases of pedophilia and grooming are going to be more severe than others. But the issue is that we can't see how severe it is because most of it will happen behind closed doors on other social medias. This is why we shouldn't take these kind of risks at all, in interest of the victim's long term mental health.

This is a formal request to not let this happen in your community again. Like I've stated, the results could be severe if you do so much as ignore it.

Role System & Staff Communication

I have no clue if this has changed at all, but since I was at one point a staff member in forums and OldCP I wanted to just make a quick critique on how the staff works along with various other rules.

- Sometimes favoritism is prominent in picking who is best for roles. This gives new users less of an opportunity to take part in something they may be good at. I urge you all to keep an open book on who can become a staff member. I know when I was younger and wanted to be a mod so bad but I didn't get considered much until I was years into the community and won GOM. It always felt unfair and I discussed that with my friends quite often.

- Give the staff a better form of communication. (I have no clue if this has changed since when I was staff so if I'm wrong please call me out on it!) The staff, whether it be forums or OldCP always had a sense of disconnect. The staff should be working together to make decisions and how to take action on things within the community, especially when it's a major issue with a user. Moderators are not only here to help with those who break the rules, but to take part in helping the community. Involve them more and communicate.

I don't have exact ways to solve this since I'm not a staff member now, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to develop a better system for this.

i don't even know what else to put on this discussion but my final little thing will be: do better. or there will be consequences, surely
it's a shame to come on here after such a long time to be met with the same community who was not improved.

+1 by zenny, Brit, Tommo, Horse and 15 others

oh.
740 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
10th February 2021, 11:09 PM

This was a really great post. You made some really good points. Also I’ve missed you omg I hope you’ve been doing well

+1 by fox and Brit
You'll never silence my voice, no, I won't go.

Izuno - Mal31 - SecurityGuy - Jenna

stop.
Master
941 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
11th February 2021, 03:11 AM

Daily reminder I received the same punishment for 'spam disliking' as someone else who tried to date a minor. The double standards and biased moderating inside this community are still ongoing problems, clearly shown in the recent events on the DSGHQ and how the majority of the staff have responded to it. I like how you brought up how the opinions of the non-staff members should be heard in these types of situations: if an apology post receives many dislikes then acknowledge the community members are uncomfortable with having them inside of the community.

This post is nothing but facts, well said.

+1 by jay, rouge, Ras, Brit and 8 others

Rookie
2,706 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
11th February 2021, 03:39 AM

Tom080 wrote on 11th February 2021, 03:11 AM:
Daily reminder I received the same punishment for 'spam disliking' as someone else who tried to date a minor. The double standards and biased moderating inside this community are still ongoing problems, clearly shown in the recent events on the DSGHQ and how the majority of the staff have responded to it. I like how you brought up how the opinions of the non-staff members should be heard in these types of situations: if an apology post receives many dislikes then acknowledge the community members are uncomfortable with having them inside of the community.
I received worse treatment for killing innos??But trying to date minors is cool??

+1 by Tommo, Brit, Stryke, Faith and 2 others

18 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
11th February 2021, 07:50 AM

Tom080 wrote on 11th February 2021, 03:11 AM:

I was banned my first week ever in the community for cursing in Russian. I had no idea what the rules were in the community. I was banned for a week however I got it appealed, but the actions *ahem* has committed are more harmful to the community by far, and it just doesn't make sense that someone can get away with something like that with only a 3 day ban. smh...

+1 by Brit, Tommo, Laka, Faith and 3 others

find comfort in the chaos
Master
796 posts
Seen 6th June 2022
11th February 2021, 10:26 AM

Daily reminder that Milan is BOS for murdering 4 penguins, Eugee got BOS for mass-murdering on a virtual game, Rouge got BOS for nuking a virtual throne room, Tom got banned for disliking 2 posts after he got banned once for it already, and that the moderators did nothing when Lex and Sriram were getting spam-disliked. The opinions of non-staff members and former staff members alike have been deleted here on the forums, and I think I've really started to see the other side of things since I resigned.

Here's an example of favouritism I have noticed in the community these past few days:

Me, lyss and Tom, and a whole list of people got banned on the Penguin3D Server for simply just being there since we are "troublemakers", even after Damen said he does not care about what happens on discord. We didn't even speak nor did we have intentions of raiding or starting drama, and we were banned instantly, yet it took multiple CBARS reports to get someone who was grooming children banned for three days, and instantly forgiven after she had served her three-day punishment. The staff's defence was that only P3D players were allowed in the server, when me and Tom both have accounts (we're just both noobs, and personally, my workload does not give me time to play P3D actively).

The internet is a very dangerous place indeed, but we can make it less dangerous by not keeping people who have groomed children in the community, to protect the members of it. Damen saying "I will remove her if she does this again" does not make anyone in the community feel safer. This isn't the first time this has happened; but by us standing up for those whose voices have been silenced by the forgiveness of these actions by staff members, we can make minors aware of the dangerous things they can encounter on the Internet and make adults aware that they must be held accountable for their actions. Keeping someone in the community or anyone who does this, because I'm sure there have been more people, is vitally dangerous to the safety of minors, which the majority of this community is, especially in the more popular game, Penguin3D.

Even if it was a mistake, which I doubt it was because she was aware of the ages of these people, we don't have to forgive this behaviour if we don't want to, which is what the owner has told us to do. Just because one person forgives her or anyone else that's done this does not mean we all have to, because we are not all religious and Bible quotes talking about forgiveness will not influence those who do not believe in God. We all have our own personal morals and it's healthy for all of us to talk about this as individuals of a community, where we have all known each other for upwards to five or six years, possibly even longer than that.

Excellent post.

+1 by Laka, Tommo, kace, Brit and 5 others, -1 by Akkar

i’m rigby, shut up
348 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
13th February 2021, 04:51 PM

1. I have to agree with you, something I’ve noticed that the community has been terrible at is the whole adult and minor relationships, this is damaging for both ends especially the minor.
2. I definitely agree with the favouritism and it’s one of the reasons why I originally left in 2017, so ima go a bit into a explanation here (disclaimer: I’m not trying to move the spotlight but I just want to point out my experiences, that others may of faced aswell)

Ever since I had joined the DSGHQ it had been my goal to become a moderator, I had applied quite a number of times, I had tried my best to gain experience, heck I even went to other platforms for experience (now I’m a co owner of a discord server that has more than 2k members) but I kept noticing the same sort of pattern, no matter your experience it always feels like the people who’ve already had mod will get it again, of course this isn’t in every situation. But most situations ranks and roles will goto people who’ve already had the chance and some who blew their chances. I’ve messaged former members about this before and they agreed that there have been people who even blew their chances, who got punished and demoted and even they end up getting some sort of advantage when it came to getting staff. It’s unfair and it’s cruel to the people who have tried to work their butts off to impress others, I do admit I’ve had roles, I’ve had war knight and penguin watch but war knight was given to EVERYONE it had nothing special about it, it’s not going to provide you with much experience because everyone had it and it was a role that was based on crimezone, and Penguin watch was something different, that was the only exception when it came to pure bias and favouritism and I’m not sure if it’s the same now or not. So what I’m saying here is the process for picking staff is terrible, it will always seem as though former staff will forever have a upper hand and that new people don’t get a good shot at it. Again I don’t know if this is the same but by the sound of it it seems as though nothings changed and maybe there’s a chance that there won’t be change.
I know for sure that the DSGHQ will never be at the peak it used to be at, but that doesn’t mean we don’t change, Awesome post!

+1 by fox
rigby
professional slay

”Growing is a process
121 posts
Seen 14th January 2023
20th February 2021, 01:41 PM

Coddy wrote on 10th February 2021, 10:32 PM:
hey ya'll it's fox, i've been on the last couple of days and seen a lot of stuff on what's going on, and i feel like this can be the era where we can fix long term problems with the dsghq. this all should be insight on how to improve the community realistically. of course i'm not gonna force anybody to take my advice but it's gonna be here whether i'm active on this site or not
so thanks for reading
Recent Pedophilia Allegations
This was a problem long before it was addressed now in 2021. A situation like this is not to be ignored, and for the staff and community as a whole to brush it off and forgive it is inappropriate and it genuinely makes the community look uneducated. Relationships between adults and minors should not be acceptable in any kind of way because of it's affect on the victim.
Now, rebuttals to this could be:
1. The pedophilic relationship was not intentional.
- But in reality, actions like this can be unintentional or intentional. If it's clear it was unintentional, that is not an excuse for it to be forgiven. There needs to be some kind of punishment in play here. Think psychology here- if there's not a negative consequence to the perpetrators negative action, it can make them prone to doing the same thing again. If there's not formal punishment for taking action in this behavior, it could happen again. It can teach the community that what happened is okay and will not go punished. Do you want you community to think pedophilia is okay? No. That's a quick way to getting your whole community to turn against you.
2. The e-dating ban will prevent these relationships to happen again.
Because of our modern society, platforms like Discord, Instagram, Snapchat, and other social medias will be the source of these relationships then. Just because a ban of e-dating has been placed, it will not stop inappropriate relationships within the community. Simply put it, that rule will be broken because the two engaging in the relationship will just have contact over social media. There is no way to prevent anyone from dating each other.
With all of the above being stated, it should be clear that adult-minor relationships are horrible for this community and it has been a problem for a very long time now. An issue like this needs realistic action taken upon it.
My recommendation being:
- Give formal punishment to anyone who partook in those kind of relationships. It doesn't matter if it was in the past or not. You do not want the risk of a predator being on your platform, especially when this game is filled with minors and a mainly adult staff.
- Listen to the members of the community more. If you close out the feedback that this community clearly needs so badly, it will have no room to grow. There is still a chcance for the DSGHQ to grow as a whole, but only if everyone has a voice.
Along with all of this, I want to point out what pedophilia and grooming can do to a child over time- regarding to mental health.
Sources taken from the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children.
"Grooming can have both short and long-term effects. The impact of grooming can last a lifetime, no matter whether it happened in person, online or both. A child or young person might have difficulty sleeping, be anxious or struggle to concentrate or cope with school work. They may become withdrawn, uncommunicative and angry or upset."
This includes: Anxiety & Depression, PTSD, self harm, feelings of shame and guilt, relationship/trust issues, eating disorders, difficulty coping with stress, suicidal thoughts, and drug and alcohol addiction.
"Any child is at risk of being groomed. And it's important to remember that both boys and girls can be groomed. Children who are groomed online could be abused by someone they know. They could also be abused by someone who commits a one-off act or a stranger who builds a relationship with them."
Of course, some cases of pedophilia and grooming are going to be more severe than others. But the issue is that we can't see how severe it is because most of it will happen behind closed doors on other social medias. This is why we shouldn't take these kind of risks at all, in interest of the victim's long term mental health.
This is a formal request to not let this happen in your community again. Like I've stated, the results could be severe if you do so much as ignore it.
Role System & Staff Communication
I have no clue if this has changed at all, but since I was at one point a staff member in forums and OldCP I wanted to just make a quick critique on how the staff works along with various other rules.
- Sometimes favoritism is prominent in picking who is best for roles. This gives new users less of an opportunity to take part in something they may be good at. I urge you all to keep an open book on who can become a staff member. I know when I was younger and wanted to be a mod so bad but I didn't get considered much until I was years into the community and won GOM. It always felt unfair and I discussed that with my friends quite often.
- Give the staff a better form of communication. (I have no clue if this has changed since when I was staff so if I'm wrong please call me out on it!) The staff, whether it be forums or OldCP always had a sense of disconnect. The staff should be working together to make decisions and how to take action on things within the community, especially when it's a major issue with a user. Moderators are not only here to help with those who break the rules, but to take part in helping the community. Involve them more and communicate.
I don't have exact ways to solve this since I'm not a staff member now, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to develop a better system for this.
i don't even know what else to put on this discussion but my final little thing will be: do better. or there will be consequences, surely
it's a shame to come on here after such a long time to be met with the same community who was not improved.

really good post! :D

Login or join the forums to reply.