24th October 2021

Spooky Story: The House

Made by Fable in Entertainment

Valiant
Master
790 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
24th October 2021, 11:52 PM

This is a piece I made for my final in HS Creative Writing Class, I was hoping to remake it into something more but it's quite long enough and I had other things this week, much apologies.
The House

I didn’t want it to be this way. Since I left my parent’s House to go out into “the real world” it’s been a burning crash straight down. They wanted me out so badly, but expected me to know everything in the outside world. Expectations were too far for me when all they could do was shouting at me with sour faces.

“Listen here Al, all the other boys right now are in the same position as you are” my inconsiderate father explained to me through my flip phone. “You have to step out of your shell and man up like your old man did”

“What if you and mom made the shell too heavy- What if I was never prepared in the first place and-“ I cried out before my mom interjected.

“Now cut that out,” she exclaimed in the background. “You don’t know the sacrifices we’ve made to raise you and your brothers”

Being a middle child. It’s harder than most would think. You’re expected to be successful like your older brother, and you’re not as spoiled as your younger brother.

I’ve had enough, that’s what I thought to myself. I’ve been working twelve hour shifts, making just enough for food and paying for college. Spending the hours off going to class and studying, exams until the sun rises. I’ve had it, I quit.

“You can’t just quit!” shouted out my boss. “Your work is very valuable here!”

“Sorry I just can’t do twelve hours anymore” I groveled. “I’ve worked too hard to spend my life here”

“Fine then, go!”

I walked out of there. I had quit my job, I had dropped out of college, not like my grades were any good anyways.

I had to get a cheap apartment. I wouldn’t be able to pay for another month after this one. I need to find a job. I guess I had one option left, go into the newspaper and find some job listings.

The first I saw was unpleasant, laying down brick after brick. The second I laid my eyes on was a local pizza delivery service. That’s when I saw the last one. Work at the Orville Haunted Mansion.

Yessir, after a major remodeling, the legendary Orville’s Haunted Mansion has risen from the grave! Opening for you this October! Enjoy new sights of doom and sounds of freaking stairs behind you. Watch out for that scare! We are now open to bringing in employees, and it pays well if you’re not afraid of a spook. Come on down, Orville awaits you.

Based on the pay and the work, I thought it’d be easy to get some dough. So that’s what caused me to work at the spooky mansion.

Once I went down there, one of the employees gave me a form. His eyes looked gloomy, and it seemed he’d been working here for a long time.

I ignored it and filled out the application. One thing didn’t settle with me- they asked for recent criminal activities. Sure, I guess it’s to have a safe workplace, but what a strange thing to ask.

The next day I got a call and I was told to come by Monday to start working. Halloween was soon, that’s when they get a lot of business. I’d finally be able to get a stable job- no longer would I be living off the little money I had left, I had an income.

Monday came and I went down to The House. It was a great brown mansion, with so many windows I couldn’t count them all. I was directed to the back room, which is behind and below The House. There I met this Orville. He looked like an old geezer- with a rugged nose and balding-white hair. “Let’s hope he’s not senile” I thought.

“Welcome to the haunted mansion, my connoisseur!” he exclaimed to sound classy. “This is where you shall work, Mister…?”

“Albert” I replied.

“ALBERT MY FRIEND, you and I will get along nicely” he shouted like a banshee.

He introduced me to all the rooms. There was an immense ballroom, bedrooms with pop-up beds, it was a full scale mansion.
The library had two whole floors and there were books on every row. Imagine all the reading done here. The dining room had one of the largest tables I’ve seen and the candles could be lifted up and down using wires. The study had a burning candle and a ghost painting talked to you about his former life. I wonder how he paid for all of it.

Finally, I was taken back to the back room where he showed me all his costumes. Extravagant creatures that I can’t even explain.

“Try one that suits your interest,” he presented emphatically.

I liked the one with claws poking out of the chest cavity. I slid the suit onto me.

“Now if you can feel a lever in your right arm, pull it,” he said to me.

I pulled the lever and the claws opened up and out of the suit.

“Now we have a rule here, employees cannot touch the visitors, this is to prevent damage and lawsuits” he scoffed.

Almost every room had a secret entrance, there might’ve been secret entrances in secret entrances.

At last! October rose with the burning moon and The House was open for business. Every employee worked together to create the best experience. One worked on lights, another on set pieces and moving objects, one for sound. The new guy; me, worked on characters and costumes. I dressed in an outfit, it was like a cross between a man with a chainsaw and some sort of demon. Orville only called it his magnum opus.

“Ah Demonsaw, one of my best designs” he explained with a bit of pride. “I always want this one opening night, a true spectacle of horror and the occult.”

I revved the chainsaw and began walking down the hallway, it was a prop chainsaw of course, the real sound was being generated by the sound team. It could still move, but it can’t do any damage to people. I walked into the ballroom and saw a family scream in fear and scurry off. I cracked a smile and laughed treacherously. This job was fun and made me feel great. I always got home with not a problem in the world. I was also getting paid quite a lot, it allowed me to get a better apartment.

Parents called that week.

“Hey there sport, how’s life?” My dad asked me, expecting to hear bad news.

“Doing great dad, found a good job for the month” I replied.

“A job you enjoy? That’s not like you Al” he laughed jokingly.

“This one’s a good one, pays well,” I said back.

“Well then, guess you’re doing alright then, talk later then son?”

“Sure, I guess so”

“Alright son, stay safe out there”

My relationship with my family was improving, I didn’t feel outcast to society.

The next week went about as normal, the same routine. Get in a costume, scare people, take a passageway to another room, repeat step two and three.

“You’re doing great, kid!” Orville said to me one day. “I’ll most likely be giving staff a raise, we’ve had a lot of business this month- in fact; more than I’ve seen in a very long time!”

It was a great workplace. Shame it only lasted another week.
Someone tripped while they were running in fear, I went to go help them up. They screamed in absolute terror and slid away as I grabbed their arm with my giant lion-demon costume.

The boss called me that day.

“Listen you can’t touch the visitors, I know it’s your first time, but you can’t do it again”

“Yes, sir, never again” I didn’t know how he found out, I hadn’t seen any cameras.

“Alright, good”

The day before Halloween, I decided to explore the mansion when no one was around. I knew some of the passageways, but not all of them. One I found behind the painting that led me to it, the security camera room.

“This is where Orville hides, eh?” I thought. Rooms were numbered by where they were. The library was marked as LIB1. Strangely, there was also a LIB2. A secret library? There was also a room called TELE. It was all doors. “Could that be the secret passage hub room?”

I went to the library in the Dracula outfit and searched for the secret room. The books were all glued, to prevent anyone from taking them. After searching the library, and on the balcony of it, I found exactly what I needed.

“Guide to Secret Passageways and Creating Them” was on the second floor. Upon moving it towards me, downstairs a door creaked open. There it was, the Secret Library. These books you could move and read them. They were Orville’s personal collection it seemed. Old books from the 40s and 50s about horror, building haunted Houses, and other sorts of things. They weren’t interesting. Except, the one on how to properly dispose of bodies. I was pretty new here, I didn’t know much about Orville’s past. After setting the book on his desk, another door opened. This time behind me. I went in and found the hub room. Each door was labeled. BALLROOM one label said. All of them were somewhat familiar, like BED, which was probably where Orville slept. Except one. FARM. What was he growing? I didn’t know he was a farmer either. I entered the room, I was mortified.

It was bodies. Dead bodies. They were on the tables and some were missing parts of their body. What on earth is this?

“There’s visitors here, Albert,” a voice whispered behind me.

My skin leapt out of my body. He caught me.

“What is this?” I scarcely asked.
His wicked eyes pierced my soul, his maniacal grin singed my spirit.

“You wanna know why you’re paid so well? Why did I build this MASTERPIECE?! I’ll tell you why.” he shot down to a whisper.

“I spent my early life in Hollywood, trying to make the most horrific movies possible, but nobody would see them.” he said softly.

“They thought they were too Gorey, I was a master of the elements. They hated me because I was too good. I hate CHEESY HORROR MOVIES” he switched his thoughts left and right. He lost it.

“So I decided to build my own haunted house, and I wouldn’t let anyone get in my way. The black market was open to selling body parts for big money.”

“So that’s what this is? You buy and sell body parts?” I timidly asked.

“Yes, and you’re going to join them, and if anyone cares about you I’ll tell you quit the job and found another one”

I ran for the door, but he blocked me.

“Ah, no I’m not finished yet, I’m going to torture you for your Peeping Tom nature.” he giggled like a man who had lost his mind.

“How about we take care of those eyes?” but before he could grab me, I had pushed him out of the way and ran.

Suddenly the doors locked, I was trapped in his library.

“You see Al, I looked into your pitious life” he explained. “You had enough of your life so you quit college, and your job. You agree with me, nobody truly understands us, our true intentions. So just quit, find something new”

“No, I don’t want to quit, I was able to get enough money to get back into college” I replied back.

“Oh? You’re still going back to your roots?” he looked sad. “I thought you’d grown Albert”

He picked up a knife off the wall in his library and threw it. He struck my shoulder.

“That’s a nasty wound, let me take care of it,” he grinned as he spewed vile lies out of his foul mouth.

I drew the knife out of my shoulder, the pain seared and I screamed out. I grabbed a book and set it on his desk. I ran into the hub room and ran through a door. When I got to the dining room, Orville was sitting on a chair opposite to me.

“You do know you can’t run or hide, I know this place better than you”

“I can try, can’t I?”

He threw another knife at me, I dodged out of the way and the knife hit the wall. I ran into the back room using a passageway.

“Oh dear, now I have to repair that, look what you did” he sighed.

There was a phone in the back room, I dialed 911.

“911 what’s your emergency” the responder pondered.

“I am at Orville’s haunted mansion and he’s gone mad, tried to kill me” I yelled.

“Orville is trying to kill you?” he responded.

I heard a chainsaw in the distance.

“Yes and he’s got his own personal supply of dead-“

Before I could continue Orville used a chainsaw on the telephone. He then tried to take me out next.

I ran out of the way, his old frail body couldn’t handle a chainsaw as well as he wanted to.

“Now, let’s just stay still NOW,” he yelled to me with a delirious slur.

I kicked him back, he retaliated and lunged at me. A part of the chainsaw scraped my chest. I screamed out. Thankfully, it wasn’t a lot of damage and it was just a skim. I ran up the steps outside.

“Come on now, don’t delay the inevitable” he roared laughing.

Suddenly a sharp pain hit my head. I was floored to the ground.

“You’re going to the farm you deviant worker”

As he was dragging me, I saw what hit me. It was a small log, probably used for firewood. He must’ve planned for me to leave through the door and placed a trap. He’s tricky.

When this was the end, then; like a light through the end of the dark tunnel, I heard police sirens.

“Orville Aluco” yelled an officer. “You’re under arrest for aggravated assault and attempted murder”

When I woke up I was in the hospital. I had a few questions.
The police came in and wanted to ask me a few questions instead.

“Before I answer, I have something I want to ask” I paused. “Where is he?”

“Orville Aluco is in our custody and is being questioned,” the officer replied.

“Did you search The House” I asked. They wouldn’t find the farm without my help.

“We didn’t find anything suspicious”

“Of course not, there’s secret rooms”

“Secret rooms?” He asked. “Do you know about them?”

“I was an employee, the passageway to the farm is simple. In the library, there’s a book on the second floor. You can move and unlock the private library, then place a book on it and enter the hub room. Once you do that, you can enter Orville’s body farm where he sells them.”

“This is a lot of information, how did you get information?”

“Arrogance,” I replied. “Survival”

The House went for sale and was sold for two million. Orville was put on death row, his new House is The Big House. I recovered from the hospital, but I had to find a new job. Even though I made it out alive, life isn’t a happy ending. I have to keep going. The most important thing is, the evils of that man are no more. There is a sense of peace in the world.

+1 by Loki

Fable

Valiant

Banned
405 posts
Seen 31st January 2023
26th October 2021, 04:00 AM

make mc server i wanna play mc

+1 by

Login or join the forums to reply.