7th January 2014

Bringing Back Discussions

Made by SecretResearcher in Suggestions

136 posts
Seen 8th March 2016
7th January 2014, 04:47 PM

I'm sure many people can relate to having their own discussions become immediately ignored as soon as 6 discussions are made after theirs (meaning it's no longer shown in the "recent discussions" section of the forums).

I was thinking that there should be a separate section of the forums where people can put up discussions they've made that they believe are really important or that should be said again because people are repeating the mistakes that were specifically told not to do.

If this would be set up, there would be strict limitations so no one would keep posting discussions that would seem useless to other users. My choice of restrictions are as follows:
  1. One discussion put up per user a day
  2. Discussions can only be put up by the person who created the discussion
  3. NO discussions can be brought up that are in the following categories:
    • The Lounge
    • Feedback
    • Cool Stuff
    • Introductions and Leaving
    • Forum Games
    • Arts
    • Entertainment
    • Club Penguin
    • Minecraft
      (PI and Snailschat would still remain in case any announcements are put up there)
  4. Discussions found to be unnecessary can be removed by Mods/Admins
  5. Any rank below Member cannot post discussions on here

Some issues addressed:
Q: Where would we put this section?
A: If no room seems to be open, it can be accessed by a tab at the top
Q: How will this ensure my discussion will be seen?
A: It won't, but it will at least improve the rate of users seeing discussions that seem great but never actually seen. There also won't be an abundance of discussions because only a few selected categories can be posted as well as other strict rules that can be listed by Admins.
Q: What if I found a discussion by another user and I wanted to post theirs?
A: This wouldn't be a bad idea, but because of the risk of people posting random discussions, it would be better to limit users to a good extent. If you feel that post should be seen, try messaging the user and see if they'll post it themselves.

Any other questions you may have can be asked by posting below or mailing me.

Also, these rules I listed above are suggestions, so these rules may not apply if this does actually become a real thing. I just wanted people to know that if this were to be brought up, there would have to be several limitations to it.

Another reason why I've asked for this is because if you search up "reminder" in the title area of Search, you'll notice I've put many reminders on quotes, replying to discussions and other posts, and more. I still see people saying, "Make this discussion longer -10000000," meaning they never read my reminders or anyone else's messages about the topic.

Again this is just a suggestion and if you don't like it, you have the freedom of speech to say so. Because of the beta testing for PenguinIsles, I honestly don't expect this feature to be up anytime soon or even at all, but I decided to make it anyways.

That's all.

+1 by Dice, Archie , Icedragon The Myth, Preston and 9 others
~ SecretResearcher

News Reporter
4,301 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
7th January 2014, 04:50 PM

Wait. Seperate sections of the forum? How would you do that? Like, make the new discussion area smaller, and the other side smaller, also? Wow!

136 posts
Seen 8th March 2016
7th January 2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Wait. Seperate sections of the forum? How would you do that? Like, make the new discussion area smaller, and the other side smaller, also? Wow!
That can be a possibility, but again it might not be possible or too complicated. Another alternative is to just put a separate tab for the whole feature.

~ SecretResearcher

xx
Master
1,573 posts
Seen 4th August 2023
7th January 2014, 05:52 PM

That's a good idea, SecretR.

xoxo
Master
2,484 posts
Seen 30th July 2023
7th January 2014, 06:23 PM

Thats very smart and clever of you secretr!

520 posts
Seen 28th June 2021
7th January 2014, 06:51 PM

There's a much simpler solution to threads quickly being "buried". Simply change the way discussions are ordered in the categories. Instead of discussions being order based upon the original date they were posted, they should be ordered by the time a post was last posted on that discussion. That way user's threads won't be lost and forgotten.

+1 by CPManiac

"Everyone has heard that a million monkeys typing on a million typewriters would eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the internet, we now know that this is not true."

136 posts
Seen 8th March 2016
7th January 2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
There's a much simpler solution to threads quickly being "buried". Simply change the way discussions are ordered in the categories. Instead of discussions being order based upon the original date they were posted, they should be ordered by the time a post was last posted on that discussion. That way user's threads won't be lost and forgotten.
The only problem with that is most discussions that have the least amount of posts would usually be the discussions that are either pointless or rarely favored. Newer posts would still be in the front because they have zero posts, meaning the last time a post was last posted was never for that discussion. Besides, changing the order of posts in categories would be an even less of an improvement than the idea here. I've had a discussion of mine locked in the Help and Support category and no one has replied, liked, or disliked it since I've changed it greatly 2 weeks ago. This idea revolves around either the main forums page or a tab. Since the main forums page is always viewed by all users and tabs have much less of a decisive choice than categories, this feature would work much better. New users tend to look at these options more as well.

+1 by CPManiac
~ SecretResearcher

Master
5,463 posts
Seen 11th January 2023
8th January 2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I'm sure many people can relate to having their own discussions become immediately ignored as soon as 6 discussions are made after theirs (meaning it's no longer shown in the "recent discussions" section of the forums).

I was thinking that there should be a separate section of the forums where people can put up discussions they've made that they believe are really important or that should be said again because people are repeating the mistakes that were specifically told not to do.

If this would be set up, there would be strict limitations so no one would keep posting discussions that would seem useless to other users. My choice of restrictions are as follows:

1. One discussion put up per user a day
  2. Discussions can only be put up by the person who created the discussion
  3. NO discussions can be brought up that are in the following categories:

• The Lounge
    • Feedback
    • Cool Stuff
    • Introductions and Leaving
    • Forum Games
    • Arts
    • Entertainment
    • Club Penguin
    • Minecraft

(PI and Snailschat would still remain in case any announcements are put up there)
  4. Discussions found to be unnecessary can be removed by Mods/Admins
  5. Any rank below Member cannot post discussions on here

Some issues addressed:

Q: Where would we put this section?

A: If no room seems to be open, it can be accessed by a tab at the top

Q: How will this ensure my discussion will be seen?

A: It won't, but it will at least improve the rate of users seeing discussions that seem great but never actually seen. There also won't be an abundance of discussions because only a few selected categories can be posted as well as other strict rules that can be listed by Admins.

Q: What if I found a discussion by another user and I wanted to post theirs?

A: This wouldn't be a bad idea, but because of the risk of people posting random discussions, it would be better to limit users to a good extent. If you feel that post should be seen, try messaging the user and see if they'll post it themselves.

Any other questions you may have can be asked by posting below or mailing me.

Also, these rules I listed above are suggestions, so these rules may not apply if this does actually become a real thing. I just wanted people to know that if this were to be brought up, there would have to be several limitations to it.

Another reason why I've asked for this is because if you search up "reminder" in the title area of Search, you'll notice I've put many reminders on quotes, replying to discussions and other posts, and more. I still see people saying, "Make this discussion longer -10000000," meaning they never read my reminders or anyone else's messages about the topic.

Again this is just a suggestion and if you don't like it, you have the freedom of speech to say so. Because of the beta testing for PenguinIsles, I honestly don't expect this feature to be up anytime soon or even at all, but I decided to make it anyways.

That's all.
Nice idea, but if you want to see the post by the person type in there username on the search and then click view posts after that, find the post that you wanted to see from that user ~Luke ;)

136 posts
Seen 8th March 2016
8th January 2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Nice idea, but if you want to see the post by the person type in there username on the search and then click view posts after that, find the post that you wanted to see from that user ~Luke ;)
This involves much more than finding posts from a specific user. The idea was to have your own posts distributed into a separate feature so that it can easily be viewed by others, not so you can search up other people's existing discussions. The discussions that would be put into this feature would actually be ones that have rarely been seen but have large value. This, of course, excludes prep talks and focuses more towards announcements and help/support.

In other words, this suggestion is about finding forgotten discussions that you've made and may become useful for other users, not about finding a discussion (whether it being useful or not) from a specific user.

+1 by Grace
~ SecretResearcher

Banned
466 posts
Seen 13th September 2014
8th January 2014, 08:42 PM

that's good! but i don't think it would be fair if rookies didn't get to post.

+1 by Mohamed

1,856 posts
Seen 27th July 2015
9th January 2014, 09:08 AM

I kinda disagree with this...this kinda would like remove the point of the forums...

Hey Hey Hey! Whats shakin' bacon'?

Login or join the forums to reply.