11th August 2021

On Moderation

Made by Fable in Wisdom

Valiant
Master
790 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
11th August 2021, 11:42 AM

Recently I was found as the new Grand Most Wise, I am honored. In this new revelation, I will make a post about moderation and how to improve on it. This is not a direct order, they are pointers that lead to multiple cases of reforming the way we punish on this site.

Damen has made many posts posing for a restorative approach. His claim is that all moderators need qualities.
Quote:
Qualities all mods NEED
- Patience (the most important one)
- Empathy
- Mercy
- Forgiveness
- Confidence
- A level head (no bias)
- Non-judgemental
- Humble
While I don't break rules myself. From what I've heard most people don't like the mods in this community because they do some of these things wrong. Most mods aren't able to forgive the people they've banned and sometimes say "talk to Damen about it's not my problem." The worst problem we have out of all of these is bias. It seems you slip up once you get banned for weeks, while some only get banned for a couple days. Even for a worse rule break. It seems instead of being level headed, they're level heads. As a rookie, your post has to be verified by mods. There's logs for what people search. It almost seems even though nobody breaks the rules anymore, mods have been given more power than ever before. I remember in 2013-2015 when you banned someone that didn't break any rules, you were demoted. Damen demoted a mod for banning a CZ account on accident. Meanwhile in the modern era you're encouraged to ban CZ accounts, because people Damen trusts aren't immune to his rules. If mods are to have mercy and empathy, why do people feel oppressed and afraid to speak out? Anything that the mod team doesn't like on the site can be removed from the user's view, forever. This post could be removed, even though all I have done is spoken opinions from other people and myself. One of Damen's questions was to ask: Do you enjoy banning people?
While it should be NO, most people don't remember the 3 step system.
For you people who did not partake in the golden age.
3 Warns is 1 kick
3 Kicks is a ban.
3 Bans is IPBAN.
I believe that's how it went. Of course we cannot kick on the forums. It could apply to P3D. Before you even warn a person once, something helps and prevents most toxicity. "Stop."
Just tell them to STOP. If they're mature people, they'll know what STOP means. I've dealt with people younger than me and they still know what STOP means. You shouldn't have to kick people and ban people on default, you should treat them on an equal playing field. Forget you even had moderation power, you were just two individuals. You need to find a way to solve a solution without using force all the time. Penguin Watch was a great example of mods with less power. They found ways to solve problems and find ways to keep the community a better place without using bans. Overall it massively fixed issues and more people had chances as moderator.
Quote:
- Not find the 'victim' or the 'villain' and giving out punishments without trying to patiently repair the issue
- Not judge people
- See past the words or offensive speech and see the person inside
- Not getting hung up on minor details like words said
- Humbly keep our opinions and moral views out of it
- Work with both sides with the goal of fixing the problem
It's important to see as a mod if the person who might be breaking a rule is actually intending it that way. Part of being an adult is finding (or getting) problems and solving them efficiently. "Oh no I had a car accident and insurance won't cover my car." Well it's time for you to get biking again until you can save up money to buy a new (preferably used) one or fix it. "Oh no my child needs a change and my spouse isn't here to help me." Well I hope you remembered. "Oh no my child needs to be picked up from school but I have a meeting around that time." Well then it's time to make a decision. Adaptation is essential. As moderators, people should see a problem, and find a solution without banning people or making them more aggressive.
Please respond if you have read this so I can know you did not actually read all of this. I know you forum readers read the first paragraph and the last line of every post and then reply your opinions accordingly.

That's all for my wisdom on how we can fix some things.
- GMWHTMPL Fable

+1 by , Warth, Mercer, Miromeski and 3 others

Fable

Valiant

Queen of Vultures
Administrator
1,641 posts
Seen 31st August 2023
11th August 2021, 11:53 AM

Forums staff approves everything that goes through the filters unless it’s inappropriate or breaks the rules. You may not like it but it has game ended many trolls before they could even get started.

+1 by Varai, Dice, Flynn and rouge

Living life in Survival
News Reporter
263 posts
Seen 30th August 2023
11th August 2021, 12:16 PM

It seemed like one of the best posts I have seen in forums, you are very right about what you said and you are also right that people only read the first paragraph, most of them dont read the complete post

+1 by Fable and a

Banned
405 posts
Seen 31st January 2023
11th August 2021, 12:37 PM

TheComedian wrote on 11th August 2021, 12:16 PM:
It seemed like one of the best posts I have seen in forums, you are very right about what you said and you are also right that people only read the first paragraph, most of them dont read the complete post
yes bro

+1 by Fable and Flynn

Hatred
Rookie
5 posts
Seen 22nd March 2022
25th September 2021, 11:40 PM

i see, i like your system sir fable, you sounded like someone who betrayed someone too, but your matter of ruling is another case and thats what i'll agree and talk about. so here it is, i someone who always want to change things too, but today i found someone who can change it for me

this i agree. same like how abandoning a child when they do bad is bad. just treat everyone like real world. how to treat like real world? mental health should be treated patiently, warn them, tell them to stop. you wouldnt just abandon kick/ban them straightaway right? you only ban them if they do like big threat, meaning not only mentally, but physically to the things as well. In otherwords, you should use the golden age system patiently for people who cause mental harm. they are prob kids, so they must need more care in world. in the end, this is just club penguin, not some official matter where you dont even have time to change some kids and instead abandoning them. if you continue to read below you'll get rick rolled, so you won't be rick rolled because i already warned u. unless not to people who read first and last paragraph. it's alright mate i understand your commitment so thanks for reading all of this. i just wanna say to treat all people peacefully like irl, because there can be less physical damage done and can easily use time to make some people changes, changes to positivity should make u happy, right? hard but true.

TDLR; basically, you should treat all like irl, use golden system for mental health and only kick/ban immediately when dealing with physical issues. there isnt too much going on either. so to be honest, let me get this straight so you'll understand if everything is too long, i'll never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna run around and desert you. dunno if i was making point in any of these sentences, but my main objective is to rick roll alright. thank you for listening and see you all in the next one

edit: also idk why my status is like that, not sure if it was me or some other people, same with pfp too, its been 6 years

You might think you can fix things you have regretted, but the truth is, you can't. Edit

Login or join the forums to reply.